Storage Auctions

Anyone ever used a sprayer to paint furniture?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Anyone ever used a sprayer to paint furniture?
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
I bought a great bedroom set today but the finish looks like crap. As is, I could only get $200 for the sleigh bed, dresser, night stand and mirror. If I spray it black and the finish looks nice I could get $500-600 for the set.

Just wondering if anyone has used a sprayer to paint their furniture and if so, how did it turn out?

Re: Anyone ever used a sprayer to paint furniture?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
Lacquer Furniture?  Well I know this is not an easy process.  Many coats lots of sanding, and not cheap.  It would seem you would need to almost specialize in this, rather than doing a one off.  People South of the border or overseas  may have a labor advantage, and looser environmental controls to go into a production sequence. With the Chinese competition composites (particle board and veneers) using natural type finishes , plain vanilla furniture painting seems passe.

Please do not take this information as more than intuition based on minimal information. Since nobody answered your post, I thought I would try.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
I watched a pretty good YouTube video. Although it's done with rollers, the finished product looks nice. It's worth watching for the music alone.  ;) 

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:29 AM »
As a possible solution,  use a wood filler on the rough spots, leaving enough room to put matching wood (cherry, mahogany, walnut, birch,...etc. )  laminate strips (available in all lumber yards) high enough, to  sand and knock down smooth. Sand till real smooth and hand finish with a dark tongue oil, to blend in any imperfections. 

This is type of effect is done all the time with very  high end masonry counter work , adding a bit of mortar to the wormholes, to make a beautiful blended finish.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:25 AM »
I've done some.

I just use my automotive primer gun and pancake air compressor.
If you want to go really cheap, Harbor Frieght has a gun that for the money isn't all that bad.
I used it to stain the kitchen cabinets, worked great.   Paints decent but I'd do a practice project first.
Sort of hard to get it to lay smooth untill its dialed in and you learn the stroke.
For high end stuff I use my old Iwata gun.  But that's a $400 gun that I switched out the needle to shoot thicker paint.

I'd highly recommend a HVLP gravity feed paint gun.  Less work, easy to lean, easier to dial in....

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
some great youtube vids on refinishing furniture. i just did a bedroom set recently myself

xx
Cleaning furniture

Started by Southern Yankee

7 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 06:58:02 PM
by LoneStarAds.US
xx
refinishing furniture

Started by BigBizzz

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 11:06:02 AM
by Millertime