Storage Auctions

Are there stereotypes about storage unit buyers?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Are there stereotypes about storage unit buyers?
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
Are there stereotypes about storage unit buyers? If so, what do you think they are?

Re: Are there stereotypes about storage unit buyers?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
In my area we have:

The drug dealers - the spanish crews that spend thousands on units ($500 for an empty 5x5 with a garbage bag in it), literally throw all of the contents of the units into a 18 wheeler and then half of it goes into the dump and then the rest goes into their "store".

Clearly a money laundering operation

The collector - only goes for rooms with age, the more dust the better. 

The tool guy - The guy always telling everyone hes looking for a "tool room".  Bids the room up way past the value of the room because he sees a dewalt screwdriver or god forbid anything snap on.  We have many of these.

The mechanic - the guy that buys any room with any sort of car part or motorcycle

The family man - The guy that brings his whole family to every auction.

The amazon/ebayer - only sells via online and wants only brand new products in the box

The old timer - Every room that goes above $5 he starts to tell stories of the old days when every room was $5

The newbies - Everyone else

note: I was a collector but am now leaning towards amazon guy.  better profit but less fun.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:07:40 AM »
I think that just about sums it up. But I should have been more clear when I asked the question. Do you think people stereotype us as a whole? Do you think some people think of us as vultures or riffraff because we dig through other people's stuff?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »
I think that just about sums it up. But I should have been more clear when I asked the question. Do you think people stereotype us as a whole? Do you think some people think of us as vultures or riffraff because we dig through other people's stuff?

For a couple of years there during the height of the TV shows, guys and gals like us were pretty cool and borderline local celebrities. Now it seems the opinion of what we do is drifting back towards "bottom feeders, vultures, dirtbags, etc.".  :clap:

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:40:52 AM »
Do you think some people think of us as vultures or riffraff because we dig through other people's stuff?

Only those that lost their units to an auction. Others see us a just doing business.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »
I think pre 2010 people had no idea what we did and basically just throught we were weirdo garbage collectors.  SW brought it up to "ooooh you do that I love that show ... were you ever on it??? and now its like "eh".  I can still throw a good story together at a get together though about it that gets people oohing and ahhing about "treasure"

My brother has been helping me for years and actually first got together with his girlfriend because she asked him what he did and she loooves the show.  At least one of us got something out of it.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
My brother has been helping me for years and actually first got together with his girlfriend because she asked him what he did and she loooves the show.  At least one of us got something out of it.

Storage auction groupies...I knew they existed!  :098:

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
I used to take friends with me to auctions back before the shows and the comments I got were grumpy old men and hillbillies. I think the people going to auctions has definately expanded men, women, young old etc.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »
i like taking friends and family. it pisses the other buyers off and gives me an advantage lol.

clip
Storage unit buyers find meth lab

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 01:49:32 AM
by MelBrandle
xx
Should storage unit buyers have to pay taxes on the units we buy?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 04:49:29 AM
by alloro
xx
City Says Storage Unit Buyers Can't Sell From Home

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 09:38:25 AM
by jamelar
xx
Are there unspoken rules of etiquette for storage unit buyers?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2014, 10:29:15 PM
by Travis