Storage Auctions

Counterfeit Merchandise - How to Deal With It

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Counterfeit Merchandise - How to Deal With It
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
From a single fake Gucci purse to hundreds of pairs of knock off Jordans, I'm sure that most of us have come across something counterfeit in a storage unit. What have you come across and how did you get rid of it?

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Counterfeit Merchandise - How to Deal With It
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »
My sister and nieces pretty much lay claim to any high end name brand item....real or not.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
I found a men's Louis Vuitton wallet in a unit I bought. The wallet was brand new in the box. I have always wondered if it was real or not but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you like it.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
My sister and nieces pretty much lay claim to any high end name brand item....real or not.

My wife tried that until I presented her with an invoice for everything she wanted. She was of the opinion that it was free stuff, whereas I'm of the opinion that anything not sold is money lost.

Don't get high on your own supply!

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »
 :o  Are we still talking about wallets and purses?

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »
LOL
anyone seen the counterfeit sharpie markers yet ? ive seen both sherpies and sharpeis

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »
Hmm, don't think I have found much high-end stuff that was new. Mostly used stuff & the mark up is so high on new retail I'm not sure there is much difference in selling a used counterfiet purse compared to an authentic one. When I'm at the flea & I have a nicely used coach handbag I might get $10-$20 for it. It's caveat emptor for the buyer to decide if they think it's authentic or not.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
if its just a one off item id say give it to a gf or keep it for yourself not sure what i would do if i founda whole unit full of knock off purses or nikes or something like that.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »
Only thing I keep finding is knock-off purses.  I've had a few of the "duck" purses...don't remember the name I'm a guy.   Have also had a few coach ones that you could tell were fake by the C pattern on them.  There is one in a unit I bought last night I'm 90% sure is fake.

I'm honest with my flea buyers.  I tell them up front I think the purse is a fake.  The only thing that pisses me off about it is instead of the $5 - $10 I'm asking they then want me to sell it for $1.  Yet - some of these same ladies will pay $50 and $100 in the big city for the same purse off a street vendor.  Sure lady - those street vendors are selling $800+ purses for $100 just cuz you look hot.

Shoes and stuff I've never paid much attention to.

Pirated music / movies get tossed in the trash.  Not going to get hit with one of those fines.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
The only thing that pisses me off about it is instead of the $5 - $10 I'm asking they then want me to sell it for $1.  Yet - some of these same ladies will pay $50 and $100 in the big city for the same purse off a street vendor. 

Ever hear the story of the free refrigerator?

This guy buys a new fridge, so just to get rid of the old one he puts it out on the curb with a sign on it, "FREE". There it sits for 2 weeks, no one takes it. So he takes the "FREE" sign off and in it's place puts up a $50.00" sign. That night someone stole the fridge.

The morale of the story is to make people think something is valuable, you have to make it valuable. In the case of your fake purses, sell them for $50.00, let the ladies beat you down to $30.00, they're happy and you're tickled pink.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 07:56:16 AM »
Ya - I understand what your saying alloro.  What really gets me is how fast they put the purse down when I tell them it's a fake.  I get a number of "complements about my honesty".  Don't want those, I want your money :)

I finally just tossed the purses to Goodwill.  Should go in there one day and see how much they sell fakes for.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
I finally just tossed the purses to Goodwill.  Should go in there one day and see how much they sell fakes for.

Probably $50. :)

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
I used to go to this weekend flea market that was held in the parking lot of Orange Coast College, in Costa Mesa, CA. There was this vendor that had thousands of Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, LaCoste, etc. He would sell brand new shirts for $3 each. When I asked him if they were fakes, he said no. He told me they were imperfect items that he bought by the truck load. I think he was really sewing the labels on cheap shirts or buying counterfeits in bulk.

xx
Has anyone ever found counterfeit money in a storage unit?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 08:32:23 PM
by Travis
xx
Where do you process your merchandise?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 08:36:17 PM
by bakerben
xx
How do you transport your merchandise?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 06:42:29 PM
by Travis
xx
Do you sell merchandise without testing it?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 11:51:32 AM
by Travis