Storage Auctions

Do we have any stay at home moms that buy & sell storage units?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Just wondering if we have any stay at home moms here on the forum that buy and resell storage units? If so, can you tell us how you juggle the kids and a resale business?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Do we have any stay at home moms that buy & sell storage units?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
Why does a stay at home parent have to be a mom juggling kids? There are a lot of dads out there that take care of their kids just fine.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
Why does a stay at home parent have to be a mom juggling kids? There are a lot of dads out there that take care of their kids just fine.

You know, I thought about that when I was writing the post above. Fair enough, dads, you're included too....how do you do it?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
You know, I thought about that when I was writing the post above. Fair enough, dads, you're included too....how do you do it?

Uhh, it's a not much different then someone with a regular job. Do you specifically mean parents (moms or dads) who have kids to young to be in school or childcare?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »

Just like the moms of course! :P

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Just wondering if we have any stay at home moms here on the forum that buy and resell storage units? If so, can you tell us how you juggle the kids and a resale business?

You have an interesting MILF hunting strategy there sir, I have to give you that.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
You have an interesting MILF hunting strategy there sir, I have to give you that.

Don't overlook that he added dads too. So he must also have a DILF hunting strategy too!  :D

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »
Don't overlook that he added dads too. So he must also have a DILF hunting strategy too!  :D

Alright now...there will be no DILF hunting here.

Uhh, it's a not much different then someone with a regular job. Do you specifically mean parents (moms or dads) who have kids to young to be in school or childcare?

Yeah, exactly. Like, do you bring the kids with you to your garage sales/flea market and if so how do you keep them occupied? Do you have any issues with bringing them to auctions? Do you primarily stay at home and sell on Craigslist and eBay, etc?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
Alright now...there will be no DILF hunting here.

Yeah, exactly. Like, do you bring the kids with you to your garage sales/flea market and if so how do you keep them occupied? Do you have any issues with bringing them to auctions? Do you primarily stay at home and sell on Craigslist and eBay, etc?

Well it's summer so the kids are with us most of the time. I've seen some people on this forum have kids that are interested in the auction/re-sell business, but ours are not. Can't get them interested much at all. It's pure misery for them, no matter if it's at the auctions, cleaning out units, selling at flea markets, selling at the store, etc. they hate it all!

The only thing that partially motivates them to be involved & help is when we find something in the units they want. We pretty much quit just giving them stuff and now have them work for the items they want.

O

Offline MTP

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
I know I get hated on for this, but here is my take on kids at auctions.

DON'T FRIGGIN BRING THEM!

It's annoying enough to have adults take for ever looking at a near empty 5 x 5 for ten minutes, sweat in the heat, listen to the annoying know-it-alls and new bee non-sense. Or the same joke by the auctioneer for the umpteen millionth time, lol.

Really don't have the patience to listen to your whiny kids, or screaming kids or get ran into, balls kicked at me, bumped into by them and what not. Can't even count how many times I get hit by strollers and how much those gosh darn strollers slow things down even more.

Only thing worse than strollers is Moe in a broken down wheelchair.

For real now.

Offline Charli

• Writer
    • View Profile
    • iBid4storage
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »
You're tethered to a child until they are grown and can do things on their own. So if people bring there kids, it may not be a matter of choice. After seeing how many people lost their houses during this huge economic fallout, how many kids had to go live in in-laws and other family members with their moms and dads in cramped quarters, I have a bit more sympathy to what may be going on in their lives.

I think you will see a new trend in more single-parents or stay-at-home moms buying lockers to help supplement income.

I went to flea markets to help sell stuff for family. Not every kid is wild, undisciplined or whinny. You cannot generalize like that. I had to help. Dad was out of work. Before you bash kids, remember, everyone has a story.

Maybe the parents are there with kids to try a new venture or maybe they have to find a way to make ends meet. Times are hard. Baby sitters are not an option. You have to put food on the table however you can. So again, consider, everyone has a story to tell and some are very sad tales.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »
You're tethered to a child until they are grown and can do things on their own.

Really? So what if the parent worked in an office, at the Post Office, or on a construction site. Last I looked those parents don't bring their kids to their jobs. Just because it's easier to bring the kids along doesn't mean you should. For many people this is a full time job just like any other. The exception to this is those kids that come to be helpful or be taught the business. I too think strollers should be banned.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:19:37 AM »
I too think strollers should be banned.

Now that you said that, watch Million Mom March show up at your local auctions with 500 women pushing strollers.  ;)

Offline Charli

• Writer
    • View Profile
    • iBid4storage
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »
My dad was a bricklayer and he DID bring me to his job on weekends when he worked for individuals. I had to clean the mortar off the brick before it set, help be his gofer in 100F weather in the South. I also had to go to flea markets with him to help sell stuff.

I NEVER had a babysitter because we were too poor. So please, just because you're annoyed at the lack of discipline of the kids or whatever, you do not KNOW their situation. Everyone has as much right to be there as you, even if a single parent brings their kid, or someone who cannot afford a sitter brings their kid.

Buying a storage unit may help supplement their income and you would be surprised when I mean supplement, it could just mean putting food on the table.

The world is a big place. Let's all try to fit in it.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
I agree with Alloro. I have a store and if kids come in that cannot behave themselves I ask the parent to leave. I shouldn't have to put up with someone elses kid if they cannot make them behave.
I have left restraunts and movie theaters a few times when mine child misbehaved so as not to disturb other paying customers. It is just the polite thing to do in my opinion. If you know that you cannot control you children then don't take them. Again just my opinion but I think it is shared by quite a few as we are seeing more and more over 18 only auctions localy.

xx
City Says Storage Unit Buyers Can't Sell From Home

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 09:38:25 AM
by jamelar
xx
What do you do with storage units that don't sell at auction?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 08:18:42 PM
by Travis
xx
2 Units Sell for $27000

Started by C4talyst

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 03:19:16 PM
by C4talyst
xx
Do facilities in your area sell the best units toward the end of the auction ?

Started by MovieMan

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 03:34:27 PM
by fredgsanford