Storage Auctions

Getting bad smells out of clothes.

Offline Zao24

Getting bad smells out of clothes.
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Anyone have any experience getting cigarette and other odors out of clothing?  I've washed them a couple times which has helped, but someone with a good sense of smell will likely still notice.  I'm hoping just having them in a non-smoking environment for a while will help as well.  I also have a leather jacket that smells bad.

Re: Getting bad smells out of clothes.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:40 AM »
Try soaking in Oxy-Clean for a day or two in a rubber-made tub, then wash again.

As for the jacket, I had a leather that had been near a camp fire and really stank. I sprayed it with fabreeze, did everything I could think of...no luck. One year later I pulled it out again and all the smells were gone. Maybe just need to let it air naturally.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:05 AM »
Use Vinegar in the final rinse of the clothing. Removes odors. They want smell like vinegar. If you can hang on a clothes line would help.

Being in a non smelly environment will help. Had some that I had in a tote pulled out about two weeks later to wash because they had a slight odor, not rosey but they were better.  Left the lid off the tote also put some unused dryer sheets in the tote.

On the leather. Did some research and just letting it air out is the easiest. We picked one up that was the lovely musty smell. Doing better.  Hang it outside not in the sun. A google search will give you some other ideas.

Hope that helps.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »
Actually for the leather jacket I DO recommend hanging it in the sunlight. The UV rays will kill the tobacco odor. I hade to do that myself, a week in the sun (not all day, just a couple hours a day) and Febreezed the inside liner and it was good as new. Others recommend putting some coffee grounds (unused) in a mesh pouch and storing it with the clothes for a few days to a week and the coffee grounds will absorb the cigerette odor.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:11:18 AM »
Actually for the leather jacket I DO recommend hanging it in the sunlight. The UV rays will kill the tobacco odor.

Just quoting what i found on Google. Did hang ours in the sun for one day then a few more in the shade.

;D

Offline Zao24

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
Thanks all!

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
thats why people should smoke pot instead of cigarettes the smell doesn't linger lol true but kidding aside i was also going to say sunlight and or vinegar

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
I'm sure it goes against all morals and money making schema but if it's worth selling, then it's worth taking to the cleaners. I took a pair of slacks the other day, cost me 2.00 and I didn't have to do anything except pick em up and drop em off.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »
IMHO 90% of the clothes you find are not worth even washing before selling given the cost and time involved. I find clothes hard to sell at the flea market and only modest sellers at garage sales and I live in a area with about 50% recent immigrants and not all Mexican many from Somalia and other parts of Africa. They will buy used clothes. White people rarely do. Heck last time I did the flea market I has 2 buckets of clothes new with the tags still on them.  Tried to get $2 each had one sale of one item and an offer of $1 each on a couple other and these were new nice clothes.  If a nice piece of clothing still smells after a washing I would say the best thing to do is get rid of it. 

xx
Clothes- how does everyone do?

Started by 39shades

17 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 09:03:11 AM
by Cobia
xx
What do you all do with the clothes you find?

Started by Adam

18 Replies
Last post July 12, 2013, 09:45:30 AM
by dbr831
xx
Selling clothes

Started by Millertime

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:08:22 PM
by Millertime
xx
Clothes with Security tags