Storage Auctions

Handbag Authentication

Handbag Authentication
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »
Does anyone have a good source for determining the authenticity of designer handbags?

I may have found a near-endless source of second-hand designer bags, but if 90% of them are counterfeit, then it doesn't help me.

Any suggestions out there?

Re: Handbag Authentication
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:41 AM »
Your best bet is to study the details of each bag.  Hit your major retail stores and look at the label, stitching, etc.  If you can take pictures and then compare that to your bags.

Or find someone that sales bags and is sort of an expert.  I know that I have ZERO knowledge in it.  I was just stacking purses and other bags in a pile when my wife pulled 2 out and was like, these are so and so purses.  I was like OK....and?

Only purse I know is Vera Bradley due to the amount of money my wife has spent buying them.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
You should be able to research different bags online. Or maybe a female you know that is close to you can help out. I am not much for one on determining if a purse is a real deal or knockoff. However my wife can spot a fake a mile away, lol.

I know Coach and Louis Vuitton have a serial number labeled somewhere on the bag, usually inside the purse itself. Most knock offs do not have this number. And the ones that do you can still tell by checking it online to verify it being the real deal.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
Had a Louis V knockoff and the women I showed it to called it right off. Women's intuition - don't fight it fellas.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
Take it to a consignment shop.Most can tell right away.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
I found a source of inexpensive second-hand bags that I can look at before I buy, but am still confounded as to what to look for. Found some youtube vids on the subject, but I may just go into a couple boutiques and see what they can tell me.

Maybe even bite the bullet on a couple as a "learning" expense.

Thanks for the thoughts, fellas.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
I found a source of inexpensive second-hand bags that I can look at before I buy, but am still confounded as to what to look for. Found some youtube vids on the subject, but I may just go into a couple boutiques and see what they can tell me.

Maybe even bite the bullet on a couple as a "learning" expense.

Thanks for the thoughts, fellas.

That can be an expensive bullet. Buying them, even cheap would be a waste of money if they are not real. Most of the females that buy them, know a fake from the real thing almost immediately. And knock-offs they really do not buy at all.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:03 PM »
I suppose I'm the only dude who wishes his wife was into designer bags... I'll figure it out somehow.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:14:06 AM »
I suppose I'm the only dude who wishes his wife was into designer bags... I'll figure it out somehow.

lol, maybe so, I cant stand that my wife wants to drop a couple hundred on a bag, lol.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »
Naw - my wife can be into designer bags and such all she wants.  It's when she buys one that I start to groan.....

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
Fakes do have serial numbers & I've also seen many boutiques sell fakes. Your best bet is to join authenticforum  & post up pics. There are many experts there that can & will help you.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Fakes do have serial numbers & I've also seen many boutiques sell fakes. Your best bet is to join authenticforum  & post up pics. There are many experts there that can & will help you.

Yes, but the fakes serial numbers will not match up to the databases online that you can verify it with.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »
Yes, but the fakes serial numbers will not match up to the databases online that you can verify it with.

As a long time designer clothes/handbag/shoes junkie & collector I have to respectfully disagree as I've seen them :)  You just cannot go by a serial number alone as there are many really good fakes out there.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 04:03:36 AM »
You should have a second hand clothes and accessories place in your contact book.
Easiest way, let someone else do it. Theyll be happy to.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 04:08:32 AM »

As a long time designer clothes/handbag/shoes junkie & collector I have to respectfully disagree as I've seen them :)  You just cannot go by a serial number alone as there are many really good fakes out there.
lol i think i believe u. I have a feeling as your 2nd post u signed up partially to respond to this question.