• View Profile
Has anyone gotten a SAFE lately ?
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
....if so, what was the result ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone gotten a SAFE lately ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »
What not a single safe in all the 50 states or around the "Storage Wars" world of Canada ?

What's this business coming to?

I saw a safe at an auction the other day, but I had to leave so didn't get to see what the locker sold for. It was over on its side and looked quite old and heavy....might have some rare air inside !

Will find out in the next couple of weeks what that locker sold for.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
I saw a fire safe in a unit along with an old refrigerator and some scrap metal a few months back. Sold for $300 something. When I spoke to the guy who bought it, he said the safe was unlocked and full of gold coins. He was really excited. Saw him again the next day. He told me that all of the coins turned out to be gold plated.  :(

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
The last safe I had was 6 months ago.. Personal paperwork.. Blah.. Safe was damaged, no resale value.. Blah..

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
Was at a vault auction a few months ago & a unit with a safe came up. The thing was right in front so bidding got crazy, everything else looked like junk. One of the regulars bought it for $1K. I talked to him the other day about what was in the safe & he said there was a lot of silver coins & a Ruger .44, so it looks like his gamble paid off.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Personally I've never seen a 'large' safe in a unit. What I do see all the time are the small personal fire safes with small amounts of personal paperwork in them.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »
I got a fire box not to long ago. There is stuff in it cause it has factory made holes in the back and I can see paperwork, files, something metal, and something jingles when I rattle it. It's the kind with a keypad and no key lock. I haven't decided yet if i'm just going to break it open or I think Movieman mentioned I can call the manufacturer and potentially get a new code sent to me?

I got one safe this Spring and another right at the end of last year and didn't crack it until this Spring. One was completely empty, the other was filled with personal paperwork and the only thing of value it had was a couple links to a 14K gold watch band. There might have been some other nick-nacks I don't remember now, but nothing with "WOW" factor.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
I haven't decided yet if i'm just going to break it open or I think Movieman mentioned I can call the manufacturer and potentially get a new code sent to me?

They'll email you an affidavit. You have it notarized and email it back to them. They'll email you the code. Can't remember whether they charge for this. They charged me $25-35 but they had to send me keys through the mail.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
I haven't decided yet if i'm just going to break it open or I think Movieman mentioned I can call the manufacturer and potentially get a new code sent to me?

Travis is mostly correct. Sentry is the best at doing this. If you provide them with the model # and serial # it usually works out, but not always. I have gotten several STAR safes over time and they are problematic with some records not making through the changeover to a new company.

A typical briefcase (or smaller) box is hardly worth the effort; the combination ones maybe a little better, but if there is a $25 charge (and there usually is) then you can't really make any money on the small ones. The ones that are about 20" tall and maybe 15" wide and 20" deep are worthwhile usually.

Do a search for Safes or Safes and what they contain. A couple of years ago I did a lot of work with "safe cracking" as I got a few in pretty quick order. Several were quite good....not thousands, but hundreds certainly, and the gun safe story which is PINNED at the top of one of the areas here in the forums yielded good guns which I still have.

xx
Gamble on the safe or be safe?

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 08:04:14 AM
by Travis
xx
Safe !

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 05:21:36 PM
by Cobia