Storage Auctions

Hot Wheels Anyone?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Hot Wheels Anyone?
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:28:46 AM »
What's your latest take on the little cars ?  I've gotten collections in lockers over the years and always sell them at $1 each no matter what (for cars still in the bubble cards). 

Redlines?  The most I've gotten is $12 for one, but an auction friend got $500 plus for one on eBay. Collectors are crazy !

Re: Hot Wheels Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »
I was just reading through a Toy's Price Guide, and though there are some bright spots including Hot Wheels, I personally don't see it unless you get into the antique toys, 100 years and older. But remember antique does not  necessary equal valuable.

The steel/aluminium kiddie lunchpails are something else.  Like $300 for a Brady Bunch Pail.  Must be in primo condiiton with thermos.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
Hot wheels new in box are like a dollar at the flea market, 25 cents each out of package. I did sell one "new" in package from the 1980s for around $5, & I found a redline missing a wheel that sold for around $10 on Ebay.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »
im not a collector but ive sold a ton and have always looked at completed listings
ive sold some rough redlines for 30-50 a piece
back before the economy went south there were always some single cars on ebay completed for over 5k (some with reserve not met which baffles me to no end)

well last time i checked about a year ago nothing went over 1k , i just went and looked now and there are several single cars sold between $1000- 4500

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
there is a huge collectors market for hot wheels i would recommend takingthe time to do some research and find out what you have. also have you tried selling them in "lots"?

pretty much anything modern is worthless but older ones coudl be worth some big money

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
I can tell you from a personal experience that dealing with hotwheels and matchboxes is miserable, that is if they arent brand new in the package.  I got a huge bin from a clean out and have sold only a few.  I went through every single car (at least a hundred) and separated them into whether they are hw or mb and then by year.  I have OCD and have researched them over and over again.  I bought value guides for both and study each car one at a time.  I have several red lines and other cars that have a value, but cannot get through my thick head that they are only valuable if they are like new and/or in original package.  I hate these cars! One of my biggest problems, with all my items, is that if I think it might be valuable, I hang on to it til I absolutely know whether the answer is yes or no.  The problem with this is I never find out! I have the mindset that I am looking for that diamond in the ruff and dont want to be someone who sells something for pennies that becomes a diamond in the ruff for someone else.  That would kill me.  I'm such an idiot  :-\