Storage Auctions

how many of yall do this full time?

how many of yall do this full time?
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »
<pretty much

Re: how many of yall do this full time?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
Im still in the process of learning all the ropes but im trying to make thus full time. Just starting to do flea markets 3 days a week and get units on the weekends or where there close enough.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Ya thats my next step is renting a flea market space. Ive been building up my contacts to sell things which i feel is the most important aspect knowing how to get various things off.
But ya i just got on the waiting list for the traders post so once that goes through im set.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
Yeah i do flea markets mostly because I have no clue where to start with building my contacts. Any advice on how to or where to begin building contacts? Would sure help in unloading some of the items I cant sell.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
Im FT regurarly. Currently PT due to some other stuff going on.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
Yeah i do flea markets mostly because I have no clue where to start with building my contacts. Any advice on how to or where to begin building contacts? Would sure help in unloading some of the items I cant sell.

Well theres several things you need to work out. i keep a black book of numbers addresses and info, and start collecting buisness cards everytime you sell something somewhere : antique shops,sports memerobillia, pawn shops, vintage sales, dvd places, game place etc. Start searching your area for places that do Appraisals (preferably free) auction houses, stuff like that. Always keep your eye open wherever you go and if you see a place that buys certain items grab their card. Find out what theyre looking for specificly, who deals in what like certain shops perfer certain things depending on clientelle like 50s style furniture glass or whatever. And i always ask when i go somewhere to refer me to another place with another type of clients

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
BigBizz gives good advice. I think building contacts is a face to face operation. Go to all sorts of various businesses, introduce yourself and discuss how what you do can benefit them as well as yourself. I have had very good responses and they will often tell you specifically what they are interested in. If they show no interest, thank them and leave. Look in the classifieds. I found a guy who buys broken laptops and did business with him, and turns out my wife taught his kid in school. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals from those you do business with. If you can drop a name they trust, sometimes that makes all the difference.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »
Another thing?  Don't forget your local museums and history centers, as a lot of them are very knowledgeable about various items you find that may be unique and have very limited exposure.  Every source of value you can find is a good one.  And don't forget to send them thank you cards if they buy a big ticket item.  Common courtesy can go a long way toward building a network, and you'd be amazed how many times you can get someone sent your way because person X isn't interested, but their friend, person Y, is, and they refer Y to you.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
to many gunners in my area to do this full time.  I also own a restaurant and that takes a lot of my time.  I do this for extra income in my spare time.  Its fun, and I can work it around my schedule.  Its not like a real "job" whereas I can take a few weeks off and not have any repercussions outside of maybe missing out on a good locker.  It is great as far as the excitement factor goes.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
I would love to do this full time, but am not in a situation to do so. I have to do auctions around my work schedule, when I wish I could work my schedule around the auctions!

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
I would love to do this full time, but am not in a situation to do so. I have to do auctions around my work schedule, when I wish I could work my schedule around the auctions!
Its certainly much more exciting than most full time jobs.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
Certainly true

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
Its certainly much more exciting than most full time jobs.

I agree.  I'm a real estate appraiser normally, and 95% of my current work is foreclosures.  It's amazing what people leave behind (99.9% of it is pure trash), including slinging paint on the walls, kicking holes in them and, for some bizarre reason I still can't understand, they always take the doorbell from outside.  They leave the doorbell mechanical parts, but take the bell button. 
   And the appliances.  They always take the appliances and ceiling fans.
   Did one upper end home where they didn't damage a damn thing, but LEFT a pool table, exercise bike, bowflex and a lot of other large, very nice items.
   Whoever got the clean up job on that wound up walking off (and getting PAID) with about 5 grand in merchandise.  It was astonishing.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
I agree.  I'm a real estate appraiser normally, and 95% of my current work is foreclosures.  It's amazing what people leave behind (99.9% of it is pure trash), including slinging paint on the walls, kicking holes in them and, for some bizarre reason I still can't understand, they always take the doorbell from outside.  They leave the doorbell mechanical parts, but take the bell button. 
   And the appliances.  They always take the appliances and ceiling fans.
   Did one upper end home where they didn't damage a damn thing, but LEFT a pool table, exercise bike, bowflex and a lot of other large, very nice items.
   Whoever got the clean up job on that wound up walking off (and getting PAID) with about 5 grand in merchandise.  It was astonishing.

Thats the next thing I want to jump into, doing clean up on foreclosures and rentals. How do you get into that?

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
Haha sounds like u can almost make more goin an cleanin em out. **** that tho i bet they leave all types of surprises. See thats why i love this, u gotta care about something to pay rent for it. Ya.

xx
My full time job is....

Started by STONEGUY73

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 09:19:16 AM
by STONEGUY73
xx
Challenges of Working Full Time

Started by Ladylocks58

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 08:03:26 AM
by Cobia