Storage Auctions

If you were going to stage a unit, how would you do it?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
If you were going to stage a unit, how would you do it?
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »
I know this is a ridiculous question and I'm not suggesting anyone do it, but hypothetically, if you were the unscrupulous type and you were going to stage a unit, how would you do it?

Perhaps we can all learn something from this which could help us avoid purchasing a staged unit.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: If you were going to stage a unit, how would you do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »
I would fill the unit with nicely stacked symmetrical boxes with a rock or two in them for weight, all with varying yet enticing labels on them.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
I would fill the unit with nicely stacked symmetrical boxes with a rock or two in them for weight, all with varying yet enticing labels on them.

Nicely stacked symmetrical boxes with enticing labels would increase bids, but if you put rocks in boxes (or if they were empty) the buyer and manager would realize the unit was staged and you would never get your money. The boxes would need to contain merchandise, even if it were only broken items or old clothing.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
but if you put rocks in boxes (or if they were empty) the buyer and manager would realize the unit was staged and you would never get your money.

Not true, I collect rocks, box them, and then store them as a hobby. As to the labels on the boxes, I found the boxes and they were already used with those labels on them. So, if you bid blindly, it's your own fault. If you can't see what's in the boxes then don't bid and take that chance.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »
[quoteif you put rocks in boxes (or if they were empty) the buyer and manager would realize the unit was staged and you would never get your money. ][/quote]

In my area you look for a box of rocks. They are a great sign that the owner is a collector. All of my best units have had at least one box of rocks in them.

As for a staged unit I would put whatever stuff in banana and apple boxes. Maybe a small cheap tool box and a few fishing poles. Broken flat screen tv and if you have some motorcycle parts to get rid of? Basically man units around here go stupid high. One crappy Taiwan tool box in a  5 X 7 will make it go over $300.00.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
One crappy Taiwan tool box in a  5 X 7 will make it go over $300.00.

Agreed, tool boxes push the value up at least $300, sometimes more depending on the brand and whether tools are visible in the drawers.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
I think lots of neatly stacked boxes with a large covered object in the back would draw in bidders. The unscrupulous individual could sprinkle in 1 or more of the following: empty tool chest, broken flat screen TV, jewelry box, safe, empty musical instrument cases, high end electronics boxes (ex.computer, flat screen), and empty rifle/pistol cases. 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
with a large covered object in the back would draw in bidders.

I saw a unit last year that had a box spring across the opening. By across the opening I mean you could not see past the box spring at all, not around it, not over it, not under it. I think it went for only $50 because no one was willing to gamble much on anything being behind it.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
I saw a unit last year that had a box spring across the opening. By across the opening I mean you could not see past the box spring at all, not around it, not over it, not under it. I think it went for only $50 because no one was willing to gamble much on anything being behind it.

Yeah, same scenario 6 months ago in my home town. 10X20, mattress completely blocking all visibility. Sold for $800.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
Is this a good thread/discussion for someone in you position to be having?  :72:

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 11:12:18 PM »
Is this a good thread/discussion for someone in you position to be having?  :72:

Totally hypothetical. I think it's a good topic. It might even help someone avoid buying a staged unit.

Me personally, I could never do it. Never had it in me to screw over another person like that.

xx
Comic book about gov't secrets getting auctioned off in a storage unit "Unit 44"

Started by StorageAuctionFinds

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 03:16:45 PM
by alloro
xx
Don't touch things in the unit or Don't get caught touching things in the unit?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 10:13:18 AM
by craiglstauction
xx
What do you think the max should be for this unit?

Started by bwd111

14 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 09:47:02 AM
by bwd111
xx
What do you think max bid should be for this unit

Started by bwd111

21 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 05:11:29 AM
by 39shades