Storage Auctions

Keeping Items That Appreciate

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Keeping Items That Appreciate
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
When buying storage units, you'll come across some items that appreciate over time. Are you hanging on to any items with the expectation that they'll be worth more in the future?

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
Re: Keeping Items That Appreciate
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »
I have a signed Willie McCovey  jersey that isn't worth much so I'm waiting for it to (hopefully) appreciate. I also have some gold coins.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Sports memorabilia is always up and down. Willie McCovey was a great player, but he's not terribly in demand. I wouldn't count on it appreciating that much over time. Right now, I'm not in a position to hold onto anything for appreciation. If I have it, I've gotta sell it!

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Right now, I'm not in a position to hold onto anything for appreciation. If I have it, I've gotta sell it!

Me 2, and honestly I don't see any item appreciating enough to make it worth holding on to, except for maybe gold coins. example I have an item that maybe sells for $20, I have an idea that maybe it will be worth more down the road, so I hang onto it. 3 outcomes 1> demand falls and item becomes worthless, 2. value never really changes, 3. 10 years later item worth $100 maybe $200, woohoo 1 just made $10-$20 a year hanging onto it. does not make much business sense. I am in it for quick returns, clear out the old inventory and bring in the new. Time is money, and hanging onto something that long, hoping that it will appreciate equates to losing money in my book.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
The saying that most applies to this business, and to those who are successful in it, in my opinion, is.. "A quick nickel is better than a slow dime." Whether you're at a flea market, on craigslist, in a store, or doing yard sales, the trick is to constantly have new inventory. Sitting on stuff to maximize your profit will sink you in the end.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
foreign paper currency, artwork, nude pictures of your mom, low denomination poker chips, books, etc...

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
with the exception of silver and gold i dont see anything appreciating worth keeeping it around. also, figure if you have something you can have cash in hand for today and you sit waiting for it to appreciate if you have debt, i can gurantee your the interest on your debt will cost you more than you'll ever gain hanging onto a piece of sports memorbilia or something like that.

also even if you donnt have debt having that cash to reinvest into your business orsomething else will also outpace the appreciation of most items.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Oh, yea.  I keep toooo much. I was told "it is called hoarding".  To me there is a difference between keeping stuff until the time is right to sell, or hlding out until someone will buy it at a good price.

xx
Keeping up Sales in winter

Started by AuctionFace

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 02:10:18 AM
by jrossjr79
xx
keeping track of customers

Started by Streets

14 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 10:08:41 AM
by mj74