Storage Auctions

Killer auction in my area this weekend.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Killer auction in my area this weekend.
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
So I just found out about a moving and storage auction in my area this weekend. 92 units! That's incredible for this area. From what I can tell, it's a strange auction. Apparently this facility has a lot of things that get lost during the moves, so they auction off sealed boxes in lots. This facility has a reputation for high end items shipped from overseas. Should be interesting. 

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
Re: Killer auction in my area this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:33 AM »
So I just found out about a moving and storage auction in my area this weekend. 92 units! That's incredible for this area. From what I can tell, it's a strange auction. Apparently this facility has a lot of things that get lost during the moves, so they auction off sealed boxes in lots. This facility has a reputation for high end items shipped from overseas. Should be interesting.
UGH!! Good luck! Now I know I want to move back to Texas!! Central California units are pretty ugly right now. Would love to have something like that around here once in a while. I sure miss the Good Old Days. :-)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »
Central California units are pretty ugly right now. Would love to have something like that around here once in a while. I sure miss the Good Old Days. :-)

You and I are within 100 miles of each other and you're right about all of the above. I haven't bought a locker since Mid-December, 2012. Just aren't worth it..IMO.

1. More lkr owners are paying up since they've seen the tv shows.
2. Waves of newbies continue to come and go and buying wildly since they've seen the tv shows.
3. Prices are high for a variety of reasons...even some regular, old-time buyers are paying more just to get goods.

I go to fewer auctions than I did just to not waste the time and gas driving...sure, I might miss THE ONE, but I doubt it. Have to draw the line somewhere.

For me picking and single item auctions are working right now. Have to change with the times (excluding online auctions of course !)

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
I haven't bought a locker since Mid-December, 2012.

See, I told you that you were spending too much time posting here. :P

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
See, I told you that you were spending too much time posting here. :P

Aren't you supposed to be out buying outrageously priced lockers and taking stuff to the dump?

By the way, when was the last time YOU bought a locker?  I don't recall you ever even talking about lockers you've bought. Maybe you're waiting for the "next new thing in storage locker sales"...the online auction !

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
I go to fewer auctions than I did just to not waste the time and gas driving...

And you're really against online storage auctions?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
By the way, when was the last time YOU bought a locker?
Yesterday, and you're correct (that's twice this year) I don't talk much about my buys. If something extraordinary were to come out of one I would share. But other than that, I wouldn't be telling anyone anything they don't already know first hand. So why bore everyone!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
And you're really against online storage auctions?
Yep, and the high online prices would more than knock a hole in any gas money saved.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »
Yep, and the high online prices would more than knock a hole in any gas money saved.

Well, that's why you don't buy the units that are bid up to ridiculous prices. You have to wait until a unit comes along at a good price....kind of like at the live auctions minus the crowds and wasted gas.

Anyway, back to the original post.

I went to the moving and storage auction with 92 units today. First auction I have ever been to where all units (or lots) advertised were still there.

My number one rule in buying storage units is only bid on what you can see.

After today, I have a new rule - Don't go to Saturday auctions that were advertised on AuctionZip.

80+ fresh faces, 10 or so pros (and I use the term pro loosely.)

About 20 8X5 shipping containers (most from Korea & Germany) where troops are stationed.

Another 10 or so 5X5 crates, 30 lots of 2-10 unmarked boxes, 15 sofas and the remaining lots were large single moving boxes. Oh, and 3 tail gates and a couple Japanese motorcycles from the early 80's...like that matters.

Everything there was a mystery. They opened the 8X5 containers but it was really no help at all since everything inside was boxed or wrapped. Every now and then you could make something out, but for the most part you were bidding blindly.

Auction begins. Single boxes are selling for $100 each. 10 Minutes into the auction, a single box sells for $300 (The box looked exactly the same as the one that sold for $100).

3 used Dodge HD tailgates go up for sale. (They were actually pretty nice) Idiot paid $975.
You can get new primered tailgates for $150 on eBay with free shipping or just go to the salvage yard and pick one up for a few hundred.

I watched 6 boxes and what was obviously a cheap headboard and foot board sell for $550. Most of the individual boxes ended up selling between $100-$200

On to the 8X5 shipping containers. The only decent unit I saw all day had a golf arcade game from the late 80's and several boxes. It sold for $850...and it wasn't even Golden Tee.  :-[

To sum it all up, it was a waste of 3 hours and I'll never be going back to that auction.

Honestly, most of these people would have been better off buying scratch off tickets. At least then they might have broke even. Instead, they paid $200 for some soldiers laundry.

Needless to say, I left empty handed.

xx
Just bought a killer domain!

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 05:45:17 PM
by Cobia
xx
Killer deal at Lowes today

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:38:32 AM
by Henry
xx
Whats the auction life in DFW area like?

Started by acman

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 11:08:32 AM
by Leota
xx
How many auction buyers are attending auctions in your area now?

Started by MovieMan

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 02:59:23 PM
by Cobia