Storage Auctions

Manager looked through my locker before I bought it??

Manager looked through my locker before I bought it??
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
Monday was my second time at a storage auction and defiantly a lot worse than the first. The first room was small and the bidding started at 5 dollars. There was about 6 black bags and a few purses on the ground. It went from 5 to 15 and I bought it for 25 because for 25 bucks why not take a shot right? Wrong. I bought another room which was also small just in case I didn't find anything good. Anyway after I pay I go to the first room and lift up the bags and every time I lift one, items fall out. Turns out all the bags were sliced open with a knife leaving me with garbage. This woman's locker who was defiantly a stripper judging by the clothing in there and they must've took everything out the night before that was valuable and turned the bags upside down so we wouldn't see the holes in the bags during the auction. Every handbag was rummaged through and every zipper was open. This upsets me because if this girl was a dancer she defiantly had more than clothes in there and they knew about it. There could've been money and jewelry, who knows what else. All I got is sexy clothes and 20 pairs of heels. What a waste. Are they allowed to do this??? That was the last time I'll go to queens NY to buy a unit and I'll never go back to safe guard storage either. Terrible auction day, all I got was a flat screen tv that I out on Craigslist and got a text from someone "out of town and will send money order if I give all my info" these people think im stupid I guess ... Anyway just wanted to know if is ever happened to anyone else and if they're allowed to go through units like that!?

Re: Manager looked through my locker before I bought it??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
Are you that upset in a $25 dollar investment? Sounds like at $5 bucks a pop you have made double your money on 10 pairs of heels. In short, unless it is a big national chain facility who monitors themselves and wouldnt risk being caught up in a public scam, these facility owners can pretty much do whatever they want with the contents. There is no one policing the auctions themselves.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
While I don't question there is lots of dishonest managers, This, sounds to me less like foul play and more like poor judgement.  The tenant probably took what they wanted then instead of cleaning out their unit abandoned it.   The unit manager took advantage of the auction process to clean out a unit that he would have otherwise had to trash.  This unit went to you for $25 because EVERYONE else could see that it wasn't worth that much.  The guy who bid 20 was probably just gambling.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »
Haha well I was just gambling too, I don't care about the 25 dollars It just kills me to think what could've been in there. I don't think the owner did this because there was a nice leather jacket in one bag and it was sliced down the middle where someone cut the bag open. Guess I shouldn't think of what could have been right? Oh well. Live and learn...

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
I don't know that storage facilities have to have auctions if they don't want to. I called a facility a ways away and asked for an auction schedule and the guy told me that I could come by and make him an offer on his past due lockers.. Haven't made my way out there yet, but I will!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
I don't know that storage facilities have to have auctions if they don't want to. I called a facility a ways away and asked for an auction schedule and the guy told me that I could come by and make him an offer on his past due lockers.. Haven't made my way out there yet, but I will!

Some storage facility owners are ignorant to their own lien laws.

It depends on the state the facility is located in and the eviction/foreclosure method they use.

I spoke to a storage facility manager last week who told me that in her state, there was a provision that allowed the facility to take possession of the unit by adding a clause in their rental agreement that says the facility has a right to dispose of the contents of the unit however they see fit after a certain period of non-payment.

Offline MTP

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
You have no idea what was in there, who took out what.
Highly likely the original owner did that.

Besides contrary (TV infused) believe, there are NOT bags of cash in every unit.

I have not found any cash in the 32 units I bought before quitting the game.
I did find a few silver coins. Prob a total of $50 in change.
2 gold coins (1800s Half Eagles, sweeeeettt).....
Some kind of gold in 8 out of the 32 units the best one was the one with the coins (total $2,000+ in gold incl the coins alone at $500 each).

However, if you got 6 bags of stripper clothes for $25 you actually scored fairly well for such a small investment.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
You have no idea what was in there, who took out what.
Highly likely the original owner did that.

Besides contrary (TV infused) believe, there are NOT bags of cash in every unit.

I have not found any cash in the 32 units I bought before quitting the game.
I did find a few silver coins. Prob a total of $50 in change.
2 gold coins (1800s Half Eagles, sweeeeettt).....
Some kind of gold in 8 out of the 32 units the best one was the one with the coins (total $2,000+ in gold incl the coins alone at $500 each).

However, if you got 6 bags of stripper clothes for $25 you actually scored fairly well for such a small investment.

WOW!!! I'm surprised your quitting the game so soon after finding that much gold!  :-\

Offline MTP

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
WOW!!! I'm surprised your quitting the game so soon after finding that much gold!  :-\

The gold was nice and it seems to reflect other guy's experiences to find SOME gold in every 4 to 5 units.

I found gold in 8 unites. One with over $2,000 total.
Most with around $200 give or take.
One witjh just one tiny piece worth 30 bucks or so.

I quit mainly because there seems no way to sell stuff in this area that's not internet sellable. CL is a nightmare. IF people show up they lowball you to death.

I was lucky that a friend led me on to a new venture that is 100% web based. I hate depending on ebay etc. But one I have an inventory up, I actually should be able to make $$ on my own web site as well..
I kn ow I could have made it work, but just was too much. Not getting younger and with arthritis and all it's just too much.

Probabl;y will be a small unit here and there for fun, but that's it.

Read my post in general talk 'Quitting the game, was a nice run' or something like that.

xx
Bought my first locker!

Started by rogue

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 09:03:13 PM
by zbert2131
xx
1st locker bought

Started by bruce45564

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 10:28:57 AM
by craiglstauction