Storage Auctions

Name the items you find that have high retail value but poor re-sale value?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
What are the most common items found in storage units that have high or relatively high retail new values but have piss-poor re-sale values used? I will take out one of the obvious first choices.

1. Mattresses & box spring sets.

2. Golf club sets & tennis rackets.

3. Wrist watches.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
I bought a unit a few months ago that had two sets (4 bases in all) of these Alumagoal volleyball bases, brand new in the shipping containers. volleyballheadquarters.com/volleyball-equipment/volleyball-standards/alumagoalheavyweightedvolleyballstandard.cfm

Even though they have high retail value, finding a buyer for them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've been thinking about putting them on eBay and letting it ride.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile

Even though they have high retail value, finding a buyer for them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've been thinking about putting them on eBay and letting it ride.

Seems like a no-brainer to put them on eBay. Increases the chances of selling them XX fold over cList.

It would help if they had the uprights as well.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Projection and flat-screen TVs.
Furniture.

Large generic art or home decor. Buy a large framed picture of fruit for $200.. Sell it for $20.. maybe.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Most all jewelry. 
Industrial kitchen equipment

Both you can make a lot on but compared to retail......

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Well, as a picker this question doesn't really apply. I don't buy a bunch of stuff and find good and bad.
I just try to make good buys (at a cheap price) of things I've already looked up to see if they sell higher than the price that is being asked for them.

Art and large furniture such as china hutches or big dressers.  I'll find nice large prints with $300 frames and it will take me 3 months to move them for $20.  Even with a conservative initial estimate I usually end up getting 1/3 to 1/4 of what I was expecting to get from most large pieces of furniture in decent shape. 

I guess the more you do this the more realistic your expectations are for the $ amount you can expect to get from an item.  Why I have high hopes for hutches is beyond me. :-[

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Yeah,

I agree Artwork is the hardest to move at a retail price, you can normally sell the frames much easier then the artwork inside it.  Also signed merchandise, take forever to sell at a good price,  you think in your head this is "Signed" and it's has to be worth $$, but in reality it's not.   Same thing with nice vases, nice decorative items, etc. It's hard to get the true value out of the items. If you don't let them go super cheap, you'll be sitting on them for a while.  Sometimes, if it's really nice and large you can consign those to a gallery and hope they can sell it for you over time. 

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
China sets and art and again watches. Nobody wears watches anymore so unless it's an antique or has scrap value....unless maybe if it's an authentic Rolex.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Name the items you find that have high retail value but poor re-sale value?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
Seems like a no-brainer to put them on eBay. Increases the chances of selling them XX fold over cList.

It would help if they had the uprights as well.

The problem that I'm running into is that they weigh 150 pounds each and there is 4 of them. I think my profit will get eaten up in shipping/freight. And yes, having the poles would really help, but all they are is galvanized pipe with some eye bolts so someone could easily make them. They're really expensive if you get them from the manufacturer, like $75 for each pole.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:49:13 PM »
The problem that I'm running into is that they weigh 150 pounds each and there is 4 of them.

Local pickup, freight, Greyhound.

I've used local pickup for 200 pounds of "stage piano", A Honda quad, vintage Console radio/tv sets, a $400, 12 foot Stihl chain saw pruner, etc.

People will drive a fair distance to get something like this especially if the price is right. As you got them in a locker (I think) you should be able to part with them cheaper and let the other items bring in some better cash.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:33 PM »
As you got them in a locker (I think) you should be able to part with them cheaper and let the other items bring in some better cash.

Yeah, you're right. Especially since I thought they were full of popcorn kernels when I bought them. Made sense because there was a commercial popcorn machine in the unit.

xx
the importance of researching items u find

Started by BigBizzz

1 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 04:30:07 PM
by Travis
xx
do you tag items at your garage sale?

Started by rulesforrebels

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 06:05:34 PM
by Leota
xx
When you find bibles/ religious items in a locker what do you do with them?

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 02:52:44 PM
by Fayettenam Man
xx
Beach Boys Items Up for Sale....AGAIN !

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:29:09 AM
by Travis