Storage Auctions

Original owner of contents' relative contacting me

Original owner of contents' relative contacting me
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
Well, it's finally happened. I purchased a locker in a not so good area of town.  Posted some furniture on a local FB site.  Within two minutes, the locker owner's relative commented and asked how much for everything (I figured this out by looking at his photos and friends list).  I looked on his profile and he has been in prison, no idea what for, as his real name is not posted.  The locker owner's son was also recently incarcerated for armed robbery, per her FB status. 
Problem is, against my better judgement, I posted the furniture using my real name. Now they can find out my personal info, where I live, they have seen pics of my child, etc.  And I'm pretty sure I almost ran into her at the grocery store the other day.
Now I can't sell the items on that page, or on Craigslist, as they could send anyone of their friends/family to "purchase" the product. And do who knows what to try to acquire the other items. 
Do I contact the storage facilities manager and offer to sell back the entire contents to the owner, and let the manager be the middle man?  How likely are they to reach the owner, let alone have them pay, when they didn't pay for the unit in the first place?  Or do I take it all to auction and cut my losses? 
There was a TON of personal stuff in this unit, which I fully intended to return once I've gone through it all. 
The business side of me says I'm the rightful owner, if they want to buy it back, they are welcome to do so, at cost.  The heart in me says to cut them a break and let them just reimburse me for my investment.  The rest of me is somewhere in between.  And I am somewhat fearful of retaliation.  I don't need someone busting up into my house. 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Original owner of contents' relative contacting me
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:49:26 AM »
Go talk to your local PD and explain the situation, then ask if the transactions can take place in their parking lot.

Also, I know this is water over the dam, but what the hell ever possessed you to use your real name and make pictures of your child available? Use Craigslist, not FaceBook unless you create a completely separate account from your personal one.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:41:39 AM »
Craiglist purposely disguises your true email even through chains of email to protect your privacy so don't go out of your way to give away all your info. Someone buying a couch doesn't need to know your first and last name let alone even your phone number. I'm not that paranoid or worried about stuff so I could care less about my number but some people do take the added steps of using a voip or free app like easytext to get a throwaway number.

I would just sit on the stuff for a few weeks let things cool down and let it be forgotten about and then repost.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
What's up with people listing their rap sheet on Facebook?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »
What's up with people listing their rap sheet on Facebook?

For some it's an accomplishment.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
I was at an auction this morning and overheard a couple of people talking about this thread and specifically my recommendation to do the transaction in the PD parking lot. It was kind of weird knowing that out in the real world people not only read it, but openly discussed it.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 03:42:51 PM »
It was kind of weird knowing that out in the real world people not only read it, but openly discussed it.

That is weird...not that it was read and openly discussed, but that you happened to be there at the right moment to overhear it. Know what's even more weird? Going to an auction and people coming up to you and saying: (insert southern accent) "Hey, you look familiar." Wait a second, you're that guy on the website.

Offline Gin

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 06:41:48 AM »
I resemble that remark!  :57: :72:

Howya doing , Travis?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »
Howya doing , Travis?

Staying busy. And you? Gin, there wasn't anything weird about our meeting.  ;)

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
Going to an auction and people coming up to you and saying: (insert southern accent) "Hey, you look familiar." Wait a second, you're that guy on the website.

That's why my name and image never makes it up on any websites. I think my twitter account is the only online picture of me I've ever posted.

Offline theoddfind

• Buy big or go home!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 05:22:31 PM »
If "The heart in me says to cut them a break" is a true statement you are probably in the wrong business. Most people lose their belongings due to some heart wrenching reason but 99% of those heartbreak stories comes down to people making bad choices IE "drugs,crime, ect. ect.". So  I don't feel bad i pay my bills and so should you.  :96:  and I meet at my house between my 110 lb shepherd and my sidearm im not afraid of anyone meeting me.  :72:

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 11:35:01 AM »
I'm not that paranoid or worried about stuff so I could care less about my number but some people do take the added steps of using a voip or free app like easytext to get a throwaway number.

Another option:

https://dnt.abine.com/#register

Offline MikeMilez

• Author: "Storage Auction Authority"
    • View Profile
    • MikeMilez.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »
You can get a google voice number for free and use it along side your regular number. For all craigslist listings, I would always use my google voice number. It rings to my cell phone just like my regular number and if anyone ever abuses it, I can always change it. In addition, as others have said, don't post your personal information anywhere. In fact, I recommend keeping your identity private.

xx
Contacting the owners of lockers

Started by greywar

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 04:34:25 PM
by greywar
xx
Any states that cut the ORIGINAL lock in front of you?

Started by ARKDEAN

10 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 01:26:37 PM
by bwd111
xx
Original Storage Wars Returns Again

Started by Travis

14 Replies
Last post April 19, 2013, 09:33:38 AM
by Mister Sonny
xx
How many more seasons do you think the original Storage Wars has left?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 10:27:11 AM
by bwd111