Storage Auctions

Personal documents?

Personal documents?
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »
New situation for me here. In a unit we bought, there are a ton of personal records from someone's business. An insurance business I think. Anyway, there is no much personal information in there, social security numbers, birth dates, drivers license numbers, cancelled checks, bank account numbers, etc.

I called the storage facility and the KNEW they were in there. She tried to get in touch with the owner of the unit with no luck. So now I'm suck with them I guess.

Now what in the hell am I supposed to do with these? There are boxes and boxes worth! Probably enough to fill 4 filing cabinets. I suppose I could shred it all, but it would take a heavy duty shredder to do it. That or burn it, but I would have to go buy a burn barrel. What a pain!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Personal documents?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
Some towns or organizations like boys and girl scouts will occasionally have a shredder day. Keep an eye out for one of those and bring the papers down there in trash bags for them to shred and recycle for you.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »
I always left personal documents, photos and things that are obviously sentimental in the unit or with management.

In the real world, if you come across a lot of business files or records, follow this procedure. Drive your car behind a strip center. Lift dumpster lid. Look for anything good.  :67:  Place records in the dumpster and get out while the gettin's good. If you see an employee,  :051bye:  This confuses them and it gives the impression that you're friendly.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »

In the real world, if you come across a lot of business files or records, follow this procedure. Drive your car behind a strip center. Lift dumpster lid. Look for anything good.  Place records in the dumpster and get out while the gettin's good.

Using a dumpster without permission is a felony in most, if not all states.

Offline ChristopherJames

• Dream, Believe Create Succeed.
    • View Profile
    • Supercheap Selfstorage North Brisbane
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
You're being very nice and conscientious I think. It's not your prerogative to shred all this personal information for the business. Honestly, if you can get a hold of this guy, then ask him how he wants you to dispose of it, otherwise, just send them all in to recycle since there are boxes of the stuff. Perhaps ending everything down to a recycling facility might be able to help you out.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 02:36:18 PM »
Using a dumpster without permission is a felony in most, if not all states.

Didn't know that. We have way to many laws in this country. Give it a decade and we'll see people being arrested for their thoughts.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
Yeah, in the "good ole days" I use to shred or burn important documents. Now, like everything else we, see so much of it & time is money so it just all goes in the recycling bin. More & more facilities don't even want to take back the personal items. There is only one chain that asks anymore to leave the personals & half the time or more I forget to do that. I never have a manager ask me about personals i've forgotten to bring back.

xx
How often do you think personal documents and photos are returned?

Started by Travis

11 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 12:25:20 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Are the storage units near you still taking pictures and documents back?

Started by rulesforrebels

10 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 08:50:44 PM
by Ironman
xx
Your personal treasure

Started by Travis

9 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:19:10 PM
by Travis
xx
Personal items