Storage Auctions

Protecting Your Turf

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Protecting Your Turf
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
Auctionguy brought up a good point when he was talking about the Storage Wars "this is my backyard" mentality they all seem to have.

I have a facility down the block from my house and if someone wants to bid the room up its all theirs.  I'm not overpaying to "protect my turf"

Will you pay more for a unit in your backyard to make a point to other buyers? Do any of the regulars in your area resort to these tactics?

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Protecting Your Turf
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
I get the logic of running up bids or paying a bit more than you would normally just to keep a newbie from thinking this is good hunting grounds, however there will always be a newbie so this attitude imho will basicaly wind up with you wasting your money week in and week out to keep a never ending line of newbies out of your backyard. Maybe you drive away tim but tom is comming tomorrow and billy the next day and tony the day after that so your constantly going to be throwing money around to drive away one guy and the next guy is still gonna come

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
I kind of agree with the above post. It seems like it would end up wasting time in the long run. I am still new to this an all so I could be wrong.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:01:48 PM »
My wife any I don't "run People up" but often are willing to pay more for a unit. We Often take more time to pull more from a unit than most. We get the comments" oh there are GOLD bars in there". But all in all after allot of hard work, we do well enough to keep being here. Smart Buying and "SMART selling" beat all.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
My wife any I don't "run People up" but often are willing to pay more for a unit. We Often take more time to pull more from a unit than most. We get the comments" oh there are GOLD bars in there". But all in all after allot of hard work, we do well enough to keep being here. Smart Buying and "SMART selling" beat all.

I agree. A lot of people leave money on the table. Knowledge helps you profit where others can't.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
The mindset is of course because its so close to your house/store/warehouse its cheaper for you to move or to make multiple trips so you take the money you are saving from transport and put it towards your purchase price.

The other one is as mentioned that you are trying to scare people away from buying at "your" facility which is never going to be absolute.

When I was starting out a whale was bidding everyone up at a facility that "he owned' but I took a junk room for $25.  He laughed at me while I was unloading garbage bags and he was moving high end furniture.  I found giftcards worth about $800, a brand new limited edition coach bag that I sold on ebay for $200 and some other odds and ends that I kept for myself.

I haven't missed an auction there since and have continued to make money.  He still goes but I think that buy every room mentality hurt him in the long run.  Hes still a whale but mostly goes for just what he wants and not to block everyone else out.

Offline theoddfind

• Buy big or go home!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 05:37:26 PM »
I don't do it I bid up to the $ I want to risk and stop once it passes that number.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
     I always bid higher in my turf. It makes complete sense. You have a lot less gas,milage and labor costs. Also, it does give you a warm fuzzy feeling when everyone points as you're pulling up at the facility(in a little mazda).

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
     I always bid higher in my turf. It makes complete sense. You have a lot less gas,milage and labor costs. Also, it does give you a warm fuzzy feeling when everyone points as you're pulling up at the facility(in a little mazda).

I can see getting a kick out of being the local dave, lol, however my attitude is to basically fly under the radar. you start pissing people off or becomming the guy who gets every unit or overbys or whatever and it just brings you hassle, people try to run you up, etc.

Offline theoddfind

• Buy big or go home!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
I can see getting a kick out of being the local dave, lol, however my attitude is to basically fly under the radar. you start pissing people off or becomming the guy who gets every unit or overbys or whatever and it just brings you hassle, people try to run you up, etc.

Thats exactly how i feel about it.  :clap:

xx
Protecting your cash at the auctions - Diversion Safes

Started by Travis

10 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 09:22:46 PM
by Alias300