Storage Auctions

Protection

Protection
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
In this business, a mostly cash one, how do you protect yourself? Its not uncommon to carry large amounts of cash, and even if you havent made enemies, you cant predict other people. Ever been in a situation where you needed it?

Share here.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Protection
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
In this business, a mostly cash one, how do you protect yourself? Its not uncommon to carry large amounts of cash, and even if you havent made enemies, you cant predict other people. Ever been in a situation where you needed it?

Share here.

I have seen at least two or three people here speak to the fact they are carrying money in one pocket and a firearm in the other.

I have never done that, nor will I, thinking it might be better to give it up than get shot trying to defend it. Money can be replaced, life can't. And if some little kid (or an adult for that matter) got caught up in the gunfire because of something I did, that would be hard to live with.

Anyway, that being said, one could always secure the bulk of one's money in a vehicle (assuming that was felt to be a secure way to do it) and there are more than likely a half-dozen ways to insure that the money wouldn't disappear from your person.

I know one fellow who carries two wallets. This is for a buying situation of course (he plainly opens the one wallet when making an offer..."That's all I've got except for the $5 I need for gas") while in the other wallet he might have a couple of thousand. I guess it works for him...not something I would do; I would just keep $20 or  $100 lose in a pocket when making a deal at a flea market, etc.  So, maybe the wallet idea would work to foil a robber...just give him the  one that is the low-end wallet. Put a couple of expired credit cards in it, etc.  Might work.

The likelihood of any of us getting robbed is pretty slim I think but it could happen...just as you could get struck by lightning or win the lottery. I don't know what the odds are, but probably more likely to get robbed and those odds would still be hundreds of thousands to one I would guess.

I've never heard of a robbery taking place at or around a storage auction. Maybe the thieves read the post about the guys carrying guns.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
I've never worried about it. But I do know a lady who does auctions who is a former police officer.. She keeps her money locked in her car until pay up time.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »
Never worried about it either.

Someone told me that a couple that buys most of the lockers up here, carry 25k cash in her purse!

Now I think thats a little overkill.

xx
protection,masks and instruments

Started by young_storage_blood

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 05:30:30 PM
by Alias300
xx
eBay buyer Protection!!!!!

Started by Jumpinomega

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 07:07:57 PM
by Jumpinomega
xx
What Do You Think Of Buyer Protection Being Extended 6 Months From 45 Days?

Started by rulesforrebels

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 11:56:23 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Paypal Seller Protection Is Good...But Not Perfect

Started by rulesforrebels

2 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 01:34:36 PM
by rulesforrebels