Storage Auctions

Question about a check

Question about a check
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
ok Fellow storage unit hunters.... If you found a signed blank check in your unit , would you cash it?

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
Re: Question about a check
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
nope

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
Nope.

Unless you want to spend 3 years behind bars.

However, i have found tons of giftcards, the other day i found a 25 dollar giftcard to Red Lobster, it had not been used, so i went there and had a nice dinner with my wife. This was in a locker i paid 20 bucks for.

Giftcards are ok
Cash is better.

Checks are NO NO NO

Offline terry

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
no no no!!!
jail time

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »
Never, I have found a $50 check in a card and shredded it.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:32:05 PM »
Highly illegal, a dirtbag thing to do take more money from people who just lost their storage unit with all their stuff, plus even if you did cash it it's probably from an old closed checking account or there's probably no money in there so either way you woudl probably get no money and ow your bank money for bouncing a check.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
I think I did not make myself clear, the check was signed, and an amount entered, just the payeee was left blank.. I dont see how cashing it would be illegal, unethical yes,  and like was pointed out, more than likely the account would be closed, or no money there.
I will not even try to cash it, but just wondered if anyone would. But if I have to make another run to the dump  from the unit..I might be tempted..,..lol.
I am hoping the 1923 Saxophone in the unit will pay me back... I can hardly wait til Monday when I can have it appraised.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
I believe that cashing that check would be technically legal.  I can't imagine a scenario in which I would do it, however.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
Some people steal checks out of the mail bleach off who its made out to put their name and cashthem. That's not legal not just b/c they stole it from the mail but b/c they altered the check.

This guy would have to write his name on the check.

I'm no lawyer but I would imagine it comes down to intent. Some people give people a check signed nad made out for an amount and let them fill in their own name. I do this with a contractor buddy of mine as sometimes he wants it to himself soemtmes to hiscompany but my intent is that he gets that money just a matter of who he made it out to.

In this instance it clearly was not this persons intent to have this stranger who bought his locker cash the check.

I'm no legal expert but 99.999999% sure its not legal and even if it is its not the right or decent thing to do.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
No way try to cash a check, signed and left blank or not. Shred it................

xx
Check out WWW.STORAGEWARRIORS.COM

Started by StorageWarriors

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 08:14:08 PM
by Travis
xx
You'll have got to check this out, it's really cool.

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 08:16:53 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Check Those Freezers People!

Started by alloro

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 09:27:31 PM
by Bandit
xx
Keeping your emotions in check