Storage Auctions

R6 motorcycle

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
R6 motorcycle
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
Well found out the other day an auction coming up is going to have an r6 in the unit sale and at the same sale there will be a Harley. I know the harley is going to probably pull 3 grand( don't have enough cash I know already) but I am going to shoot for the r6.  Is it wise to go into this thinking the bike isn't running? I know what they pull in parts so I am think I know my limit! Smart?

Re: R6 motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »
I'd go in purchase as a parts bike(figuring profit).If it runs that would be a bonus.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
I'd go in purchase as a parts bike(figuring profit).If it runs that would be a bonus.

If it ran depending on mileage it would go for 3 to 6k. Be lucky to pull more then $1500 in parts if it not. I'm thinking my stop point will be $1k.  I just hope the 6 is first and all these yahoos will be saving there cash for the Harley.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »
Sounds like you know bikes if you know what parts go for but a tip for anyone out there who doesn't know bikes well. If you happen to just check CL just to get an idea of prices motorcycles are on of those things everyone WAY overprices and winds up comming WAY down on it.

I know its the same to an extent with cars and everything but very much so with bikes. It's almost like people price a bike a grand higher than they expect to get and when your taking about a bike that's normally worth 3k-7k a grand is a pretty hefty chunk percentage wise. Not sure why its that way just th way it is. I used to buy and sell bikes, mostly older goldwings and honda cb750's but also some newer stuff and a few sport bikes.

Another thing, if you don't know how  to work on bikes be prepared to spend a fortune to get one running. Most shops around me charge like $350 for a spring tuneup/oil change which essentially isn't much more than an oil change and making sure your chain is tight if you have a chain driven bike or the shaft dive oil change if you got a shaft drive.

Prett much best case scenario you got a running bike but no title and no key. Your probably looking at some minor work getting the carbs cleaned at very best case scenario so ther's some money gone. New ignition ther's a few hundred more nad plates and retitling probably a few hundred more. When you figure your probably sitting on a bike worth 4k most likely it cuts into your profits.

I've tried to get a few bikes at auctions for myself to ride not even to flip and its not even good prices for that. I think lots of people who don't knwo bikes just see a bike and say hey big ticket item and figure they can make a good buck nomatter what price they get in at, not the case at all.

One other thing to consider. Depending upon what region you in if your in an area that has a real winter plan on getting 15-20 percent less if you sell now vs waiting until next may.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
Oh I can sit on this until spring if need be. Pretty much know that everything on CL is about 500 to grand overpriced(not new to CL, consigned a home about a year ago to pay off a debt), but I know my auto and motocycles enough to know when to stop bidding or when not to buy. Just was making sure I was making a smart decision to go into the auction presuming the bike is a parts bike.

BTW you can have a dealer cut you new keys as long as you have proof of ownership.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
Sooooooooo...............apparently motorcycles and cars at certain auctions are still going for retail. The R6 went to auction yesterday and fetched $4.5k.  Mmmmmmmmm, retail on a bike you can't even test drive, Brilliant!

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
Thats crazy!Good thing you didn't get caught up in the bidding.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »
Sooooooooo...............apparently motorcycles and cars at certain auctions are still going for retail. The R6 went to auction yesterday and fetched $4.5k.  Mmmmmmmmm, retail on a bike you can't even test drive, Brilliant!
I would have quoted auction hunters to that winner. "congratulations you just paid retail"  Or certainly got in some smart ass remark.  Thats just foolish.
I'm guessing it wasn't a regular.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
Thats crazy!Good thing you didn't get caught up in the bidding.

Went a little over my limit because I wanted it, but when it went north of 2 grand I just started laughing.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
I think I heard this on Storage Wars but the saying went something like, "Sometimes, walking away without a locker is the best buy of the day."  I think it's very true.

Congrats on not getting caught up in the nonsense.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
I think I heard this on Storage Wars but the saying went something like, "Sometimes, walking away without a locker is the best buy of the day."  I think it's very true.

Congrats on not getting caught up in the nonsense.
NONSENSE? Nah Nah Nah Nah, thats outright STUPIDITY!

xx
How do you get a title to a motorcycle?

Started by dave41097

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 08:35:43 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
5th locker...motorcycle

Started by hibid

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 10:10:22 PM
by alloro