Storage Auctions

Rims & Tires

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Rims & Tires
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
Does anyone have a good way to sell rims and tires. I'm not just talking about a perfect set of 20"...I'm taking about the non matching wheels and tires you find in some units.

If you post them on eBay, how much does it usually cost to ship them?

Re: Rims & Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »
I don't post them to ebay because it's cost prohibitive to ship. It'll cost more for the shipping than the tire, in many cases. I have a used tire contact here in town that I bring all my used tires and rims to. If it's a good tire, he'll buy it from me. If it's not a good tire, he'll recycle it for me. Most rims he will buy if they're the standard black/white iron rims or stock OEM. He won't take aftermarket.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
I know you can recycle a lot of the aftermarket rims. $8-10 bucks a piece. Obviously, if you have a complete set, Craigslist or a tire & rim shop might be your best bet. However, if you don't have a complete set, it's better to get scrap value than nothing at all.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
This is true. Always better to scrap than throw away. However, I'm about 40 minutes from the nearest scrap yard. I don't really have the storage to save up enough scrap to make it worth my while to travel to the scrap yard. Nor do I have the time..

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
A friend shipped some rims/tires and it was $270.
Plus they had to be on a pallet and secured.  It was a mess trying to get FedEx to pickup.

Aluminum rims can be up to $20/ea scrap value.   I try to post on CL first then scrap after a week or two.
Tires are a pain on CL.  I've had brand new $150 tires listed for $75/ea or $200/set and still people lowball offer you.

I have four new tire and a set of mudders on aftermarket rims right now that I'm procrastinating on listing just cause I hate dealing with CL tire people.

Only other option is a used tire store.  Most big cities have one.  They don't pay much but better than nothing.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »
If it's nicer rims try craigslist or even ebay if they're nice rims some people willing to pay for shipping. Overall though for average stuff I move it on craigslist, sometimes to someone needing to repair their car othertimes to scrappers.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
single aluminum rims will really depend on the application
ive sold some eclipse wheels for 100+ each
some maxima wheels for 60 each
some odd mazdas i had I checked completed listings and decided to scrap them because the selling price was only about $10 more than the scrap value and it wasnt worth the time
as for shipping a rim without tire boxed properly is going to weigh somewhere around 25 lbs for a 15 0r 16 inch rim and will go up from there as the size increases , shipping will depend on where you are and your customer is
im in ny and to somewhere close (nj ct) its going to be around 12-15 if it goes to cali or oregon or texas it will jump into the 30-35 range by ups
craigs list works but be prepared to sit on the stuff untill someone who needs it sees it

xx
Used tires on stock rims?

Started by Cobia

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 08:08:01 PM
by Travis
xx
Selling rims/tires <advice needed>

Started by Alias

11 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 11:26:17 AM
by acman