Storage Auctions

Storage Auction Facilities NOT posting in a paper or anywhere known ...

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
I recently had a yard sale and while talking with a young girl told her we do storage auctions. She yelped out, "Oh my friend does that too, he just bought 8 units out in Arboga!" (that's a small community outside Yuba City California. Anyway, I know for a fact the facility did not post and has never posted since we moved back a year ago in the local newspaper. I had a feeling some didn't bother with that anyway and probably sold to their good ol' boys around here but that confirmed it. I thought by law they were supposed to list the lien but I guess in California it's not that way? Any thoughts? We have quit the auctions for a while since we were at good money after bad products. We'll get into it a little later on but most likely not too soon. :-)

Re: Storage Auction Facilities NOT posting in a paper or anywhere known ...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
Leota I am in a small rural area in Cali as well and there are several that don't post liens. One owner waits 6 months then cleans out the units himself and has yard sales for weeks. Another swears in 10 years with over 100 units they have only had to clean out 2 and they were garbage that went to the dump. Yeah right.
I have called everyone around and put myself on their lists. Unfortunately very few call to let me know they are having an auction. I have been keeping a calendar and checking back three month then calling them. I have found that most auction in three month intervals. It is a little work but in a small area I really hate to miss something.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
A lot of states have loopholes for rural facilities that don't have newspapers of general circulation which allows them to place advertisements in several conspicuous locations instead of publishing a notice of public sale. 

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Yea, I can understand that but they have a local paper. From what the scuttlebutt is...they have been doing this for some time and I just was wondering if it was legal or not. Thanks

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
According to the way California lien laws are written, I don't think it is.

21707. (a) After the expiration of the time given in the notice of lien sale, pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 21705, an advertisement of the sale shall be published once a week for two weeks consecutively in a newspaper of general circulation published in the judicial district where the sale is to be held. The advertisement shall include a general description of the goods, the name of the person on whose account they are being stored, the space number of the occupant, and the name and location of the storage facility. If there is no newspaper of general circulation published in the judicial district where the sale is to be held, theadvertisement shall be posted at least 10 days before the sale in not less than six conspicuous places in the neighborhood of the proposed sale.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
You should call them once or twice a month and see if they tell you when the next auction is.  That way at least the good ole boys would have some competition. 

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
If they arent posting how do you know thewy had an auction then? Did you just show up right when the auction started cause you had to know somehow.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
You could always call them and ask them what newspaper they place their notice of public sale in. If they don't advertise the sale in a newspaper, perhaps you can ask them how they are circumventing the law....my guess is all you will hear is crickets chirping.

xx
Do you guys spring for the classified ad in the paper?

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 10:57:53 PM
by Bandit
xx
Honey, we're out of paper towels. Can you go buy a locker?

Started by MovieMan

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 08:06:27 PM
by ZoSo
xx
Scotts Toilet Paper Rolls

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 09:00:57 AM
by Travis
xx
Notice of sale in the paper or online..