Storage Auctions

Thought storage companys could NOT go into unit!

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
Thought storage companys could NOT go into unit!
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
Went to two locations on Saturday the first one the auctioneer also the property manger said to us all " What is marked on the boxes is what is inside the boxes". Everyone was complaining when that was said! He told us that the owners had died and that he being the property manger wanted to buy some of the stuff in the shed. There were tools, a boat that was hanging from the sides of the unit, the boat was a long flat boat made of steel with inflatable side with a new motor off to the side that went to the boat. Also two trex bikes and a champion generator. The unit sold for 425 we bid but he didn't hear us , we bid 450. But point being why are the employees going through the units. Also the last auction of the day that manager ALSO said he went through half of the boxes and that the company needed 1/3 of what was owed so that started off at 125.00. It makes we wonder why they are admitting going through the units?

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Thought storage companys could NOT go into unit!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
Would not go back there.

They are not suppose to but if they ran the legal notice two months before. then say the auction was cancelled, then they can go through it and add it to the next auction. that easy no laws broken. Buyer be ware.

Have heard of several different people talking about a minimum bid, and the units looked like they had been gone through. We have not witnessed this but have heard enough to know that if they put minimums on the units we will leave.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
You have to be careful and learn the ropes of the area.  Here are my examples:

1) local manager - told me the regional boss has him combine units sometimes to clean them out.  So you get furniture from one tossed in to another.  They don't go through the units that I can tell.  Mostly trying to clean out units cheaply.  You can sort of tell when they do that or when they do the unit looks even more trashy and gets low or no bids.

2) Caravan auction - one of the local managers will combine units.  We are all just carefull to look for it.  Gotten 3 different people stuff out of 1 unit before.  Person that bought the unit still made money (jewelry) so it don't seem like they toss the units first but you never know.

3) Caravan auction - the manager / auctioneer lets people go in the unit.  Still can't open totes, boxes, or such but we can look behind the furniture and things.  If unit is full we can still only look from the door but is still different.  Really does this on the large units that are only 1/3 full but all you see is the matress in front.

4) Few other units at different places have looked "staged" to me.  May or may not be the case but if I think that I bid about 2/3 my max or lower.

Yet a different caravan I found out when they cut the locks and what all they do.  On friday after 5:30 if people don't pay up they cut the locks, take a picture with a sign showing date/unit #, then close and put their lock on for Sat auction.

Start getting to know the local staff at each facility and you can learn alot.  It's how I found out about #1.  I was chatting up the local guy after the big boss left.  He was telling me about another unit he had that didn't come up for auction but needed to be cleaned out.  So I ended up cleaning out a 0 bid locker, my 2 lockers, and got to cherry pick what wanted out of a 4th.  All I had to do was toss the matress and boxspring in their dumpster.  Found 2 computers to scrap in the trash at same time.  Now I make it a habit of stopping in to chat once every other week.  So I may find out what units have been combined if any or find more free goodies.

I've learned only 1 place is truely crooked and I stay away from them (staged units, person in crowd running bid up, etc).  Most of the places so far seem legit, or I've never heard or seen anything really fishy.  The other few places like above you just have to watch the units.  They don't seem to be pulling stuff out of them as much as giving you extra trash to haul off.  Still not cool in my book but that's life.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
You have to be careful and learn the ropes of the area.  Here are my examples:

1) local manager - told me the regional boss has him combine units sometimes to clean them out.  So you get furniture from one tossed in to another.  They don't go through the units that I can tell.  Mostly trying to clean out units cheaply.  You can sort of tell when they do that or when they do the unit looks even more trashy and gets low or no bids.

2) Caravan auction - one of the local managers will combine units.  We are all just carefull to look for it.  Gotten 3 different people stuff out of 1 unit before.  Person that bought the unit still made money (jewelry) so it don't seem like they toss the units first but you never know.

3) Caravan auction - the manager / auctioneer lets people go in the unit.  Still can't open totes, boxes, or such but we can look behind the furniture and things.  If unit is full we can still only look from the door but is still different.  Really does this on the large units that are only 1/3 full but all you see is the matress in front.

4) Few other units at different places have looked "staged" to me.  May or may not be the case but if I think that I bid about 2/3 my max or lower.

Yet a different caravan I found out when they cut the locks and what all they do.  On friday after 5:30 if people don't pay up they cut the locks, take a picture with a sign showing date/unit #, then close and put their lock on for Sat auction.

Start getting to know the local staff at each facility and you can learn alot.  It's how I found out about #1.  I was chatting up the local guy after the big boss left.  He was telling me about another unit he had that didn't come up for auction but needed to be cleaned out.  So I ended up cleaning out a 0 bid locker, my 2 lockers, and got to cherry pick what wanted out of a 4th.  All I had to do was toss the matress and boxspring in their dumpster.  Found 2 computers to scrap in the trash at same time.  Now I make it a habit of stopping in to chat once every other week.  So I may find out what units have been combined if any or find more free goodies.

I've learned only 1 place is truely crooked and I stay away from them (staged units, person in crowd running bid up, etc).  Most of the places so far seem legit, or I've never heard or seen anything really fishy.  The other few places like above you just have to watch the units.  They don't seem to be pulling stuff out of them as much as giving you extra trash to haul off.  Still not cool in my book but that's life.
Forgot to add that they did combine units as well.

xx
Im going to buy stock in storage companys

Started by bwd111

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 01:01:35 PM
by che85mor
xx
Are all the storage companys starting

Started by bwd111

16 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 03:53:41 PM
by bwd111
xx
Why do storage companys charge tax

Started by bwd111

10 Replies
Last post December 17, 2011, 07:55:19 PM
by craiglstauction
xx
Are you kidding me! Have storage companys resorted to this now!

Started by bwd111

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 05:31:23 PM
by Travis