Storage Auctions

Toys and Kid Stuff.. Good or Bad?

Toys and Kid Stuff.. Good or Bad?
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
Many people at my auctions seem to run away from lockers filled with kid stuff. Toys, clothes, beds, etc. I'm not talking collectibles, just every day kid items. I bought a locker with a lot of kid stuff (and other stuff too). I paid $300 for about 15 boxes, a crib, and lots of visible toys. No big surprises in this unit, but we've had good luck with toys at the flea market we set up at. How do you guys treat units with toys? Are you jumping for joy, or running away?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: Toys and Kid Stuff.. Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
Your kinda making a good point with this question; and that point being. "What might be a junk unit to everyone else might be a money maker for you and visa-versa."

For me, kid-toy units aren't big money makers. The toys I have to sell cheap, typically .50 or $1, and so often the toys are broken, wore out, missing pieces and parts, etc. I don't run away from [kid, baby, toys] units but I don't bid high on them either.

Remember for store owners used cribs, playsets, car seats, toys can be a huge liability. Many have been recalled and are legally banned for re-sale.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Kids toys / merchandise sell but like Cobia said, it's 50 cents here, a dollar there at garage sales & flea markets.

I usually put it all together in a pile, take photos and advertise them on Craigslist in bulk. They're a lot easier to sell that way.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »
What I do with toys is donate anything I can't get at least $1 for. In this room, I've got at least 100 toys that I can charge $1 for, I put it in a bin out at the flea market and let the kids go nuts. My kids play with the toys, which attracts other kids, and their parents!

We charge $1 a piece for kids clothes, no matter the brand, and we've done okay with that.

In this unit, there was a very nice, very clean girls crib set. The set probably retailed for $120-$150 based on the brand. I'm gonna ask $50. Also have a lamp with similar design, will as $20 for that. Also found lots of women's clothes which sell decently. Good thing is a majority is either jeans, which we sell at $5 ea. or summer dresses, which we'll also ask $5 ea. Also had a crib, which was recalled. But I repurpose the pieces of crib to make X-Mas tree gates. Will have to hang onto them for a while, but I've got a decent stock of them anyway.

Between everything I'm seeing profit, but it'll be nickel and diming stuff.. No "wow factor"... except for a silver/pewter plate from the Pension Mathey in Geneva Switzerland. The Mathey is a hotel which burned to the ground in 1929. The plate is pretty gnarly, wonder if it was rescued from the charred remains of the Pension Mathey fire? hmmm...

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
Unless it's something like Thomas the Train, train sets or something that sells easily and gets a good buck alot of kid stuff is cheap and the type of moms who buy it are the type who hit the thrift store several times a week and garage sale regularly. They are looking for bargains.

xx
What kind of good stuff do you guys find?

Started by MarcusBaur

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 11:34:06 AM
by alloro
xx
McDonalds Toys

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 12:11:17 PM
by Cobia
xx
Toys don't sell after Christmas