Storage Auctions

What's a Yo-Yo?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
What's a Yo-Yo?
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »
All right forumers, this is a new term described by yours truly. Many of you may have another term for it.

Type of auction goers? We've described the lookie loos, we all know what newbies are, then there's old timers and vets, but what about the Yo-Yos?

Yo-Yo: Auction attendee who generally is wanting to bid on and win units, and typically does but for the most part is not able to make enough money per unit to stay in the auction scene so they pop in and out of the auction scene from time to time most likely in an effort to feel out the crowd and auctions to see if prices on units and bidding have come down enough on units so THEY can make money buying storage units. Unknown to these Yo-Yos but they are one of the contributing factors as to way prices stay elevated and all the regulars can't get into a rhythm and relationship where they are respectfully bidding in a way that everyone can win the units they want at a price that most everyone can make money on.

2 primary types of Yo-Yos.

1. TV show newbies: These are all the folks who came out at some point during the madness of the TV shows to try their hand at storage auctions. The vast majority got burned and went back home with their tails between their legs but there is a small percentage that keeps lingering around, trying to get back in, just waiting for prices to come down.

2. Pushed out vets: These are the folks who got knocked out by the high prices during the TV shows but really have not found any other employment or just love doing storage auctions and or don't know how to do anything else (One could argue if they really knew what they were doing they would not have been knocked out, but that's a different topic). Every now and again they come back to the auctions looking to re-establish themselves but alas prices still too high so they disappear once more.

I hope you find this post informative and entertaining!  :)

Re: What's a Yo-Yo?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »
Another type of yo-yo.. The guy who buys lockers without the knowledge, or sticktooitivness to sell the items. So it takes several months to sell the contents of a week or 2 of buying.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »
sTRING AND PLASTIC

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
I suppose I'm a yo-yo then...  I visit auctions only on the day off from my real job, and rarely ever bid.  No point in buying something I'm not positive I'll make a profit on.  When I see something I will profit from I take it home.

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »
lol Cobia, you can call me Mrs. Leota Yo-Yo . :-) We are vets but tired of the high prices and garbage units around most areas. We ventured into a few more things and plan to be back when we see something that interests us :-)