Storage Auctions

When do YOU cut your losses?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
When do YOU cut your losses?
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
I used to believe that everything would eventually sell, given enough time, if it's priced correctly. I  came across a great deal about 4 months ago. It was four identical oak king size headboards with posts and two twin size oak kids beds. Paid $20 for the lot. Finally sold the kids beds for $30. I have the headboards priced ridiculously cheap. Had several calls, but no bites yet. These things take up a pretty good amount of space in my storage shed so I really want them gone. Even considered giving them away to free up space. Anyone else had hard to sell items? If so, when do you cut your losses?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: When do YOU cut your losses?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
Ironically, the other beds ended up selling the day after I posted this. Made a $60 profit. I asked the guy who bought the beds what he was planning on doing with them (there were 4 identical king size headboards) and he replied "I don't know, something just told me to come buy them." :o

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:07:10 AM »
That is kind of freaky what the buyer told you about his purchase. Well, I guess it was just your "luck" that told him to do so. Nevertheless, as for me, I would often wait 3 months if I really need to clear that storage shed. If I just need to get rid of it but not anytime soon, then a year seems fine. It really depends on your situation I guess. I would not cut back on my losses too soon if I do not need that space though.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
It depends on how much I have invested, if the unit the item came from is all ready in profit, & whats the most the item will realistically bring compared to how much storage space it takes up. A standard piece of furniture that wont bring $50 or more is gone after the first run through the flea market. The more space it takes up, the more inclined I am to chit'can it.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:12:18 AM »
I would analyze my current situation and decide if I really need the money or do I really need the space? If I need to clear the space and room as soon as possible, then I wouldn't mind to cut back on my losses. I wouldn't mind even if I get just a few bucks as long as I have the space that I really need which is my main intention of the sale afterall.