Storage Auctions

Yes, it's broke. But it's still worth MONEY!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Yes, it's broke. But it's still worth MONEY!
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Lately, I've noticed a lot items on eBay that are advertised "for parts or not working." Seems like it's most prevalent in consumer electronics, tools, etc. Broken items like computers, cell phones and other gadgets are bringing in a premium. Heck, items like flat screen TV's are worth more in parts than they are in working condition.   

When you come across an item like this in a storage unit, do you try to sell it for parts or is it not worth the trouble? Have you listed broken items for sale before and if so, how did it work out? What other broken items sell well?

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Re: Yes, it's broke. But it's still worth MONEY!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
I think a lot of people list items "for parts or not working." for items that actually work and function fine. I know I have done it. Sometimes I don't have the means to test something, like a router or a network switch and will sell it "for parts not working", so it leaves the buyer no re-course to return the item if it doesn't work.

I'll also state that in the description, "I don't have the ability or know-how to test this item properly, chances are theirs nothing wrong with it." But, I'm selling it "for parts or not working", because I'm unable to test it.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:37:37 PM »
I'll also state that in the description, "I don't have the ability or know-how to test this item properly, chances are theirs nothing wrong with it." But, I'm selling it "for parts or not working", because I'm unable to test it.

I think that is a wise move, it CYA with eBay that way.

Offline House of Treasures

• We Buy Junk We Sell Antiques
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
I have had some good luck selling broken items on Craigslist with a ( doesn't work or needs repair) disclaimer. I usually get my asking price no haggling, go figure.

xx
Canadian Money Can Be Worth Big $$

Started by rulesforrebels

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 08:39:03 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
The One Thing You Saved Forever That You Know Was Worth Money

Started by monkeybusiness

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 04:21:26 PM
by Ironman
xx
Is the return on effort and money spent worth it in this storage auction busine?

Started by rulesforrebels

2 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 08:46:54 AM
by Travis
xx
Broke my Cherry

Started by rojoepeters

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 02:00:02 AM
by rojoepeters