Storage Auctions

Enough Lurking

Enough Lurking
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
Hi all!

I've been lurking for a bit and feel it's time to come out of hiding. I wanted to make sure you were a welcoming bunch before doing so. You all are very nice!

I am new to the storage auction biz but not to auctions in general. I've always been fascinated with SA's but held jobs that prevented me from attending. That's since changed and I've been able to attend quite a few in the past couple of months.

I made my first purchase last month which consisted of (3) 5x10's from the same tenant. At first glance it appeared to be a treasure trove of crap. Many of the regulars scoffed at the units because they were filled with doll stuff. Patterns for clothes, body parts, magazines (tons of them). These units were thrown together and packed to the gills with all this stuff.

Being a newbie bidder, I'm sure the regulars thought I was a little whacked for considering purchasing them. But that's ok. I uncovered many nice treats like vintage West German Christmas ornaments (in beautiful shape), a $600 kiln, collectible doll patterns, unopened Elvis albums, boatloads of ceramic paints, etc. I'm not even a quarter way through sifting and I'm definitely going to make a huge profit. I'm so thrilled.

I've never been a stranger to physical labor and these units certainly are giving me a workout, but I can honestly say that it's nice to break my back for me rather than an employer. I think I love this business!

If you'd like, I can upload some pics of my finds. I've found some things that even give me the creeps!

Re: Enough Lurking
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
Anyone that buys storage lockers likely has a little bit of voyeur in him, so feel free to post the pics.

Incidently, you described the kind of lockers that I prefer.  I like to sort through the boxes to find what's hidden inside.  It's rewarding to then squeeze every nickle of profit out of them.  I much prefer that to buying lockers full of big furniture (unless the furniture is awesome.)

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »
Hey welcome to the forums! Looks like you are off to a good start! What part of the country are you in?

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:07 AM »
Yeah sbell, I too, don't have the desire for furniture. For me it would be a big hassle. I'm doing the cleanouts mostly myself with occasional help from friends. However, when I was going through bags and boxes at home, two of my friends were having so much fun going through them. They said that it's much like a treasure hunt and they did profit from my gain. I let them take stuff they wanted. Hopefully in the future they'll remember my generosity when I need a piece of furniture moved, lol.

Drew, I'm from southern New England.

So far I've found about $150 in change alone, not counting pennies. Whee!