Storage Auctions

Howdy, from TX!

Howdy, from TX!
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:13:20 PM »
Ok, so I'm not a storage unit buyer, but I am a fellow hustler.  I have run my own web firm (from my house) full time for over a decade.  It pay the bills, I don't have to goto any meetings, etc. but it is currently driving me NUTS!!!

I picked up buying/selling sports cards about 5 years ago, and that went decent.  Then I decided to hit a garage sale 4 months ago.  I picked up a few paintings for $3.  I went back to the car with them with my wife looking at me strangely.  It was embarrassing ...what had I gotten myself into?  What am I gonna do with these pictures???

Then I sold one of them.  For $40! 

I started going religiously every single weekend.  I have contemplated selling my biz, and moving full time into hustling :)  I have bought and sold rings, comics, cards, toys, clothing, cars ... you name it!  It is an addiction.  Hunting all day long for "finds", following my auctions, turning profit ... I am sucked in.  Just flat out hooked! 

I love the fact that I don't have to kiss client butt, or worry about some huge problem in a business.  It has been work doing this stuff ... but fun work.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Howdy, from TX!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
Mouschi, welcome to the forum. This can be a really exciting business and I completely understand your enthusiasm. Take some time to read the forum and really get an understanding for this business. If you have any questions feel free to ask and we will be glad to help you out.

Might I suggest that you keep your other business going while you're investigating this one. Go to a some auctions, buy a unit, resell the contents and repeat this several times before you consider jumping all the way in. It's a fun business but it requires a lot of time and labor to be successful at it.

By the way, what part of Texas are you from?

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »
I hadn't really even considered storage auctions as part of what I do whenever jumping ship, but it looks like it sure would be a great piece to the puzzle.  Part of me thinks it isn't worth it anymore because the shows messed it all up to bring all the newbies (me!) in, ha!  OTOH, I do see this forum has tons of people on it, so there must still be some value to it! :)  I'm in southern Texas.

Next question:  how/where do you go to sell items, typically that you find?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
Thanks!  I have been ebaying, going on other forums and craigs list to move stuff.  i was hoping to find other places too.  maybe consignment is a good idea!

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
I've posted this elsewhere but.....

It's a little ghetto but I sell a lot from the trunk of my car.    I always go to the same gym, gas station, grocery store, auto parts store, dive *ss low life corner market.....

Get to know employees, locals, regulars.  Find what they are into, mention what I have.....

Also, I'm on a lot of forums.   Everything from automotive to movie sites to health/fitness.   Eventually you "meet" people and talk turns to more personal stuff and bingo. 

Instead of buying items and finding a buyer, a lot of times it's having a buyer and trying to find items.

Guess it comes down to networking.

Welcome and good luck! 

xx
Howdy ya'll

Started by Rufus

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:25:15 PM
by Travis
xx
Howdy from NE TX

Started by texgal

11 Replies