Storage Auctions

New from Boston

New from Boston
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
Hey, great forum. I have been going to auctions for three months, bought one unit so far. Doing this for hobby/fun, not necessarily as a business, but it has to pay for itself to keep the wife happy.

The first unit I bought was a $50 locker. Paid an additional $50 to get rid of big junk. Sold four items for a total of $310, so a nice little profit of $210, about $150 in donations/tax write offs, and a nice desk for my son. Great start, and I learned a great deal about processing.  Overall a good experience, but more work than most would think.

Looking forward to plenty more! Cheers.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: New from Boston
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:49:50 AM »
Welcome aboard. A lot of advice here.

Sounds like you did well on your first unit. Profit is always good. We have not seen $50 lockers in a while. Prices are real high here but we are surviving. Bought a bad locker 3 weeks ago it is in the green, not by much and I think one more item to sell so at least not in the red.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

When you find something the wife really likes she want be so hard on you.  :D

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »
Thanks Money.

The $50 locker was the kind of fluke.  Most lockers here are in the $300 to $500 range.  It went for so cheap because near the front door of the unit was a dingy mattress, box spring and a large, heavy looking and nearly fallen apart dresser. Those were the real eye catchers and it scared off just about everyone. They went right to the dump. What scared others off did not easily scare me, I don't mind rolling up my sleeves and getting a bit dirty, it adds to the fun.

Funny, what caught my eye about the unit was a display light sign that was turned in a way that you could only see the Microsoft Windows 7 Logo. My full time job is running an IT Consulting business, so I thought maybe there would be some technology related items that I would easily be able to make some money off of or use them in my work.  Turned out that the sign said "Games for Windows", and the unit was owned by twenty-something computer gamer, there was nothing tech related at all that had any value.

What I did find hidden under the mattresses though was a set of Bowflex 995 Dumbells with the stand.  That one find made the locker, I sold them easily on CraigsList for $250 (asked $300 and waited patiently while the $150 and $175 offers came in). Also sold a maple bed frame on CL for $50 and some other misc. items on ebay. It worked out, although the item that caught my eye is tough to sell, no takers just yet. Its a cool sign though, I might just keep it and hang it up in my office.

The wife is fine, she knows when I get hooked on something there is nothing she can do. I just have to make sure I clean everything out before buying the next locker and we are good.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Congrats,Welcome and enjoy!