Storage Auctions

Mike Braiotta From Storage Wars New York

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Mike From Storage Wars NY
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
I miss the old days when they provided coffee & doughnuts.    Now they b*tch if you want to use the restroom.   Doubt a pizza order is gonna happen. :'(

Anyone else notice that facility employees and auctioneers are starting to hate the crowds too?

Seemed to be more social in the past.    Now it's a cluster fu.....

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
Well, back in the day, you pretty much knew everyone. Nowadays, there are so many people coming and going, it's hard to keep track.

Offline theoddfind

• Buy big or go home!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Gonna start coming to auctions driving a vending truck...... :D

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »
That could actually be good money.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
Mike, do you go to auctions 6 days a week?

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
Hey Mike! Great to meet you! I know you like to big hard and fast on things you can flip right away, but I'd like to know if you bid solely on what you see, or if you take other factors into consideration. Factors like neatness of the packing, the types of boxes/bins used, writing on the boxes (kitchen, bedroom, etc.). Does this factor into your bidding at all?

If so, what of the other factors, besides what you see holds more value to you?

Love the show, I'm originally from Brick, NJ and was ecstatic when you guys did an episode from there!

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
Gonna start coming to auctions driving a vending truck...... :D

Oh!  H*ll yeah!

That's n awesome idea.   I'm packing a cooler of drinks to the next one....expand from there.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
Oh!  H*ll yeah!

That's n awesome idea.   I'm packing a cooler of drinks to the next one....expand from there.

You could make a killing selling flashlights & batteries as well.

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2013, 07:24:13 AM »
Hey Mike! Great to meet you! I know you like to big hard and fast on things you can flip right away, but I'd like to know if you bid solely on what you see, or if you take other factors into consideration. Factors like neatness of the packing, the types of boxes/bins used, writing on the boxes (kitchen, bedroom, etc.). Does this factor into your bidding at all?

If so, what of the other factors, besides what you see holds more value to you?

Love the show, I'm originally from Brick, NJ and was ecstatic when you guys did an episode from there!

Honestly it depends on what kind of mood I am in that day. Of course looking in to see what I can sell right away plays a big part of how much I am willing to spend. Don't get me wrong I am still a thrill seeker of what could be. My favorite auctions to go to are moving and storage auctions. 90% of the rooms that go up are ones that have been professionally moved in so the items are usually a lot better than your everyday storage facility. Writing on boxes are hit and miss sometimes I have seen a lot of tricky facilities that have written different things on boxes just to increase bids. "Star Wars" for instance at a real grimy place I went to once every box was written with Collectibles, Baseball Cards Etc just to drive the bids. I was smart enough to stay away. unfortunately a guy I know wasn't. He got beat real bad to find nothing but old clothes and garbage inside those boxes.
Brick was a blast. I love outside facilities. In NYC there is hardly ever and outside room so being free to walk around like we did in Brick and CT was a real treat.

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »
Mike, do you go to auctions 6 days a week?

Not really it all depends on what facilities are going up. I am not sure where you guys are from but around here when facilities have their auctions sometimes all you need is one day a week. For instance what was it two weeks ago one place had 52 rooms in one day. I bought 8 of them. In NYC when facilities have auctions sometimes they are so massive you can score big and not spend a ton of money and have enough product to move for a month.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm from Houston and there are usually auctions going on Monday-Saturday. On average, you see 50-75 units a day and you could buy as many units as you wanted to or your budget allowed. However, the people who don't live in large cities aren't used to this, they might be lucky to attend 5-10 auctions a month, most of which only have one location for the day.

In Houston, you can go to auctions that start at 8:00 AM and end after 7:00 PM. I have also seen over 150 units on one caravan.

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »
Here in NC auctions tend to run heavy Tues-Thurs.. By heavy I mean 3-5 auctions/day with 3-10 units up per location. I don't know if I've ever seen a Monday auction and Fridays are usually good for an auction with low volume of units. From my experience, those units tend to get paid up.. Friday being payday and all.. Weekends are good for moving POD auctions and the occasional storage facility. Once a month a moving company holds an auction, but they piece it out. No full bins..

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm from Houston and there are usually auctions going on Monday-Saturday. On average, you see 50-75 units a day and you could buy as many units as you wanted to or your budget allowed. However, the people who don't live in large cities aren't used to this, they might be lucky to attend 5-10 auctions a month, most of which only have one location for the day.

In Houston, you can go to auctions that start at 8:00 AM and end after 7:00 PM. I have also seen over 150 units on one caravan.

This is my problem, exactly!

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
Mike, what have you been up to this week?

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
Nothing to crazy. Hit a few auctions, bought a few rooms. No beautiful babies this week just your everyday sort of rooms. I'm actually considering opening a new store (wife's idea). Just the same old hustle and grind.

xx
Facebook Page for Storage Wars New York Michael (Mike)

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 01:29:04 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Mike Braiotta has a heart of gold.

Started by Travis

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2013, 03:42:37 PM
by Nystorageking
xx
Mike Braiotta Interview on Sparefoot Blog