Storage Auctions

Mike Braiotta From Storage Wars New York

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Mike From Storage Wars NY
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
This is definitely the time to invest in a store while the big money is still coming in.

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
I'm thinking if I do a small store again that I would prob be open on weekends only. There is no way I am going back to running my shop 6 days a week. Been there done that.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2013, 10:28:05 PM »
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I have always felt that it's better to sell your goods in the same place every week. This way you develop a loyal following. Is the rent outrageous or do you know of any decent locations that are reasonably priced?

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12:29 AM »
So whats the deal with Storage Wars NY? Has it been cancelled? Dont see any reruns of it being aired. Just storage wars and storage wars texas.

From the A&E schedule page:

Search Results for ""Storage Wars New York""    Search Schedule       

Your Search for “"Storage Wars New York"” - did not match any documents in our TV Schedule.

Our schedule only includes programs that will be airing in the next two weeks, so please try searching again at a later date.

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Storage Wars NY is deff not canceled. Will be back on very soon. From what I told June/July.

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
I'm sure a little storm called Sandy put things on a slight delay. Can't wait for it come back!

Can you tell me more about your store? Is it a standard used goods store, do you only stock specific items? My goal is to open a store but with the wide array of items that can be found at storage auctions, I'm finding it hard to find a niche.

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
Sandy Deff put a hurtin on all of us. When it comes to a store my first one I had I sold everything from pots and pans to clothing. I can tell you this I will never do that again. Don't get me wrong if you have a market for those type items you can do very well. The problem I ran in to was everybody who came in thought my store was a giant tag sale and would make ridiculous offers. I mean if I have an item for sale for $10 and you offer me a $1 you might as well leave. My favorite thing I used to love telling people "how about this I go outside and smash it in to a million pieces and you can have it for free". NO BS I told that to more than one person. I'm not trying to discourage you at all the main thing is to open your store in an area where a majority of middle class people live. Rich people are to ashamed to be seen walking in a thrift/second hand store and people with low income will nickel and dime you to death. I am just speaking from my experience I am no retail expert.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
The problem I ran in to was everybody who came in thought my store was a giant tag sale and would make ridiculous offers. I mean if I have an item for sale for $10 and you offer me a $1 you might as well leave.

Just hang signs around the store that say, "All Offers Refused"

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »
I'm not trying to discourage you at all the main thing is to open your store in an area where a majority of middle class people live. Rich people are to ashamed to be seen walking in a thrift/second hand store and people with low income will nickel and dime you to death. I am just speaking from my experience I am no retail expert.

I understand completely. I live in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area, in a town called Apex. It's middle class to upper middle class. But, there is a very strong thrift store circuit. People around here go thrifting every single weekend to see what new goodies the store got in. It's their form of treasure hunting. Our flea market is pretty big too in Raleigh. I think a thrift store could do well around here, and the great thing is, with a thrift store (around here) location is not as important, if you advertise the right way. People will go to you if you're off the beaten path a little bit.

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »
Apex sounds like a place for me!

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Hey Mike do you see 600 bucks in this unit? storagebattles.com/categoryid/28931/Salt-Lake.html

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
Apex sounds like a place for me!

Apex is great. The only thing is.. Most auctions are in Raleigh or Durham. These cities are big college towns (Duke, UNC, NC State, NCCU and about 10 other smaller schools) So there is a lot of college dorm stuff, and it's tough to resell for premium dollars. Mostly you're reselling the graduating classes stuff to the freshman class. In the rare case that there is an auction in Apex, or the other smaller suburb towns, you're gonna pay top dollar for the lockers, in my opinion anyway.. Since I don't have a store and am basically just an online seller, it's a tough decision for me to drop $2k - $3k on a unit.

« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
I am new to this business. How do you get into live online bidding of storage auctions? I know of a person that does this but he doesnt want to share his secret...lol

« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
I clicked the link you posted and it had a bunch of different rooms up for auction. Which one were you talking about?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »
I am new to this business. How do you get into live online bidding of storage auctions? I know of a person that does this but he doesnt want to share his secret...lol

There is a company (Storage Battles) that allows storage facilities to post their auctions online. They won't be around much longer because there is a new service coming out in about three weeks that will make them obsolete. You can get get deals on these online storage auctions, but you have to be patient. A lot of time, the units will sell for even more than they would at a live auction. Also, it can be more difficult to judge the condition of items.

xx
Facebook Page for Storage Wars New York Michael (Mike)

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 01:29:04 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Mike Braiotta has a heart of gold.

Started by Travis

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2013, 03:42:37 PM
by Nystorageking
xx
Mike Braiotta Interview on Sparefoot Blog