Storage Auctions

Buyer/Seller Information

Buyer/Seller Information
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »
Can the old owner of the locker find out the new owners personal information? How does one research the locker beforehand?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Buyer/Seller Information
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
No and you can't.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »
Yes and you can.

If you look at the ad for the facility you are going to, depending on the facilities policies, they can post the tenants name, locker number, sometimes even an address, google that information if you wish. Some people swear to it. Some dont bother with it. Myself, I dont waste my time on it. Cause it still does not tell you what really is in the locker. It can give you an idea on what you MIGHT find, and that is about it.

Now as far as the old tenant getting your information. They are not suppose to, but sometimes they do. Either by snooping around and seeing the sheet with the buyers and the locker they bought. And sometimes even the facility will give them the info. They are not suppose to, but it does happen.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »
The best money I have made so far came from a locker that the tenant name made me go to that auction.  ICAR Restoration LLC was the name I thought auto parts, tools, and such.  It had 2 commercial dehumidifiers, commercial carpet cleaner, 5 cases of desposable gloves, 2 carpet fans (only one worked), and more ???  Got it for $240 and had $60 in gas for it's share of the trip.  After paypal and ebay fees :-\ some other misc expense cleared over $1600 on the 2 commercial dehumidifiers, commercial carpet cleaner ;D  The legal notice having the name was worth a lot to me on that one even though it fool me I was there to buy it.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »
Some post,Some don't.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »
For the lockers it all depends on the legal notice.  Some places post the full name, unit #, description of contents.  Others just the first initial and last name, or just the last name, or just the unit # and contents.  It greatly depends.

As for your info.  When you sign-in most people just use first name, city, and a phone #.  Some places require you to provide your drivers licenses at registration.  Others, just when you purchase a locker.  The facility is not suppose to give out your info.  If the previous owner does call the facility they are to take the person's name and number and pass it along to you.

I have had the facility call me only once out of 10 lockers.  Was a moot point as I had already turned back in a large box of personal items.  The lady had finally gotten ahold of the tenant and the tenant wanted to know if I had XX item.  Was a bible or something.  I was honest and told the facility manager it was already at the dump.  I still feel bad tossing bibles but I get 2-3 in every unit it seems and no one wants them.

I have read threads here on the boards where someone at the facility gave a phone # out to a old tenant.  Is why most of the regulars here I think use a google phone # so it's easy to change.  Myself I use a old cell phone # that I can deactivate at any time.  Had to keep the number for 6 more months when bought wife a new phone (was cheaper).  So I just put it to use.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I purchased my 1st locker last Friday. It was a great experience. I returned most of the personal stuff back to the facility such as SS Card, multiple copies of SS card, Birth Certificate, HS Diploma, Sonograms, and Love letters. Another question to ask is, how long do you all hold onto the contents before selling or getting rid of them? Like I said, I purchased the unit Friday and by Sunday I had gotten rid of 1/2 the stuff (Flea Market). Do you think I should hold onto it for a while? I know most responses are going to be "The old owner failed to pay their bills" but should someone feel guilty about making a profit off of someones elses life? I was just wondering if most of you have a two week grace period or so just in case the owner contacts you.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
I'd say 90% of us have a turn and burn policy.  Sale the items as fast as you can.  The reason being once you really get into this you can quickly run out of space.  Or have most of your money tied up in inventory and not cash.

I myself keep more things longer then I should I'm sure.  I try to squeeze every penny that I can out of a locker.  But, even I have to sometimes cut my losses and donate items, etc.

Glad, you took the time to turn in the personal items.  I know some people local that don't even do that.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
.... should someone feel guilty about making a profit off of someones elses life?

You can "feel" any way you like....that is up to you.

The people who should feel guilty are the "robber barons" of the 21st century who take outrageous bonuses of $2.5 million because they did such a good job of charging $3.99 a gallon when they could have taken a bonus of only $1.5 million and let us pay $2.99 a gallon.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »

The people who should feel guilty are the "robber barons" of the 21st century who take outrageous bonuses of $2.5 million because they did such a good job of charging $3.99 a gallon when they could have taken a bonus of only $1.5 million and let us pay $2.99 a gallon.

Movieman, I have read several of your replies and posts.  You cease to amaze me with your words of wisdom.  Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.  That was in 2006.  That's not even counting the almost 50 million a year salary.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
Movieman, I have read several of your replies and posts. You cease to amaze me with your words of wisdom.

Guess I'll have to try harder !  ;)

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
If you are going to feel guilty about getting your inventory from a storage auction, then I am sorry to say this is not the business for you.

I personally do not get all caught up in the previous tenants lives. I look at everything as either personal stuff that I will return, and everything else are pluses and minuses. Money in or money out.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
You can "feel" any way you like....that is up to you.

Oil price isn't determined by the producers in some shady back room negotiation. It's set by the market.

If you want someone to blame for high fuel prices, you need look no further than the consumers.

If consumers rise up, declaring that they will not buy their petroleum distillates at such a high price, then robber barons will fall. But they want easy transit at almost any cost are willing to pay for it, which in turn strengthens the position of the current barons. They cannot escape this fruitless paradox. Barons will provide just enough supply so that uprisings do not occur. The consumers will remain bound.

xx
Have they made it easier to be a power seller and top rated seller?

Started by rulesforrebels

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 03:24:05 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Looking for advice/Information

Started by Dragnlowdakota

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 06:13:05 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
How about a new Board for Donation Information

Started by luke

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 01:46:17 PM
by alloro
xx
Anyone have information of Hamilton Brown Shoe Makers boots?

Started by rollinradios

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 05:49:29 PM
by rollinradios