Storage Auctions

Can you legally sell tobacco products that are found in storage lockers?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I found several new unopened cigar boxes in a unit I won recently. Is there a way to sell cigars, cigarettes, or other tobacco products you find legally? Without getting a special license or permit I mean.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
I'm not suggesting that you do anything illegal, but lets just say I know someone who was in the same predicament as you. He took these very expensive cigars to a cigar lounge and it didn't take long to find a buyer.

I don't know about the legality question, but if you type "cigarettes" or "cigars" into the search window on craigslist, quite a few postings come up.  The majority of them seem to be for the electronic cigarettes, but I found a lot of packs of Marlboro's being sold for 5 bucks a pack, so there must be a market for that kind of stuff.  I can't imagine the stuff would still be listed if it was illegal to sell.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Don't condone doing anything illegal but most non chain convenient stores and or liquor stores would buy them off of you as a discount.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Most bar owners would be interested as well.

Have huge party!

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
You might be able to sell them at the labor & delivery ward.

Re: Can you legally sell tobacco products that are found in storage lockers?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
Is this where the expression, "Where's there's smoke, there's buyer." comes from? ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
As for taxes, most states require a "tax stamp" on the packaging. If the stamp is on there, then the taxes have already been paid.

When it comes to any special permits to sell tobacco, I'm sure that would vary by state.

On a side note, my wife and I were previewing lots at an auction and we saw a water-pipe being sold (not a bong, more of a hooka style). I told my wife that whoever bought that better clean the hell out of it, cause you never know what the previous owner left behind.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
Other then the "tax" question I don't see why you couldn't sell them.  Specially if they were already purchased by someone and you just found their stash.  For the longest time I knew people who would goto NC to buy cases of smokes and bring them back to GA to re-sell.  Others would be posted on ebay.  At the local flea there is a guy that sells boxes of all types of cigarettes.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »
I also am not sure on the legalities of this. But I would think it would be ok to sell pipes, lighters, and other objects that do not contain tobacco with out a problem as long as your not selling to minors. Now selling actual tobacco products, cigs, cigars, chew, dip, etc.... Is illegal to do so with out the proper license. However, like has been mentioned up above people do it all the time. I would not post on CL, but just look around for smokers to sell them to.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
Is illegal to do so with out the proper license.

I'm sure you'll find that this type of legality applies to businesses that routinely engage in the sale of tobacco products. If I had  box of cigars, a tin of Skoal, or a pack of cigarettes and sold it to my neighbor, there is nothing illegal about it.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
For future finds.....cigars are heavily traded/sold online.  Hit up cigar forums for prices and buyers. Room mate is huge in that market. There is some legal loop holes you have to strictly adhere to if they are cubies though.   

My concern would be if they are still good. Slight temp or humidity spike/drop and cigars are toast!!

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 05:11:10 AM »
In most states, it is illegal to sell cigarettes from another state. I have found out the hard way. Cigars, not sure, small amounts from the state in which they came from and you are selling in the same state, don't know. But if you are selling cigarettes in a state, and the tax stamp shows another state..save yourself some trouble and stop.
They can issue a fine up to 1,000 dollars, and when i say "UP TO" 1,000 dollars...they pretty much mean $1,000. Also, maybe 6 months in jail. That is for the first offense. Oh, and not to forget the silver bracelets you get to sport for a while..lol
Anyone who smokes, or who can read...you know the prices of tobacco varies from state to state. That being said, prices of cigarettes in the south, much like everything else is cheaper than they are in the northeast.4.80 a pack vs. 10.00 a pack or more. Thats why most travel plazas along the interstates have a 2 carton max.
The main issue, is what else? MONEY..taxes from tobacco generate alot of money.
Call the ATF, they will sort out any questions you may have without getting in trouble. Just explain you found some tobacco products in a storage locker and are wondering what the laws would be to sell them. At the least, they may tell you to either use them yourself, or throw them away.
Just don't traffic large quantities.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 05:19:04 AM »
I just did a little research. (curiosity) You need to check with your state..I noticed some states DO require a license to sell tobacco products.

xx
Has anyone gotten Bose products in lockers or through picking ?

Started by MovieMan

9 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 05:41:39 PM
by fredgsanford
xx
How to efficiently sell products under $10

Started by Travis

20 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 12:48:15 AM
by Alias300
xx
Suggestion for best place to sell these products?

Started by researchib

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 01:05:39 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Most commonly found items in storage auction lockers

Started by MovieMan

10 Replies
Last post February 17, 2014, 11:34:06 AM
by Cobia