Storage Auctions

Coin Question

Coin Question
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
Does anybody know what year(s) US nickels has some silver in them?

About what do these silver nickels go for?

Re: Coin Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »

All US nickels except for the famous "war nickels" (mid-1942 to 1945) are made of the same metal, an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel.

Popular misconceptions to the contrary, no nickels except for "war nickels" ever contained any silver.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_metal_is_a_1960_US_nickel_made_of#ixzz1u3GX4Ser

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »
I may be wrong as it's been a while since I checked, but I think the war nickels were only 30% silver, unlike the 90% dimes and quarters.

As for value, I'm certain a quick ebay check will yield those answers fairly easily.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
Dandy_Granny had the correct answer for you.  1942 to 1945 nickles had silver in them.  However, 1942 was struck in both copper-nickle and silver.  You have to weight it or learn the sound to determine which is silver.  Melt value for silver nickle is $1.69 at $30.18 spot price for silver.  The numastic value is greater as many people need to fill those slots in their albums.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:32:54 AM »
Do any of you guys ever find you come across a lot of coin collections/hoards in your auction wins?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »
Of the units I have won, only two had what I would call real collections in them. One only had foreign coins of little value. The other had some foreign silver coins along with foreign coins with little value. I have found many empty coin collecting albums, so the question is: Did they intend to start collecting valuable coins, but never had the money to do it? Did they take the valuable coins out of the albums and just put the empty albums in storage? Did the facility owner/manager/employee take the coins out of the albums?(doubtful on this, why not just take the full album).

I have heard of others finding coin collections here and there in units, so I don't think it's rare to find them, just rare you will find one worth tens of thousands of dollars.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
Since I collect coins I'm always "wishing" to find a coin collection in a unit.  Or better yet buckets and buckets of change saved for years.

Most I've found so far have been a buffalo nickle and a few wheat pennies.  A few of the regulars have found small - mid size collections.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »
Wartime silver nickels have the mintmark over the dome on the reverse very easy to tell the difference. The are also the only nickels with a P mint mark other nickels from Philadelphia have no mint mark.  I have found a few coins in lockers never what I would call a collection one or two penny books and some loose silver.  I think I have 5 silver dollars now from lockers and a couple older 50 cent pieces.  Not much in my experience not many people store good coins.

xx
Coin help?

Started by Alias

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 05:52:14 PM
by Alias
xx
First locker, gun and coin collection.

Started by hibid

15 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 09:46:19 PM
by hibid
xx
Who is the leading coin expert on the forum?

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 11:03:21 AM
by Alias300
xx
kinda like a coin bracelet but not...any ideas

Started by chica4jc

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 02:53:37 PM
by LoneStarAds.US