Storage Auctions

First auction on Friday

First auction on Friday
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
So I'm pretty excited, but since I'm new, I don't plan on actually winning anything. Still, there's 13 units and I'm taking $100 just in case. Just a few last minute questions!

I'll be using a Ford F-150. It has a sizable bed and two rows of seats so I can use the back seats for fragile stuff. The seats also fold to make a more roomy area. My question is should I bungee things to the bed of the truck individually or is it better to bungee a tarp over everything to keep them down?

I also want to start networking, but I'm not exactly sure of what icebreakers a noobie could start with. Any tips?

I'll also be going to a multi-family yard sale that's just 5 minutes away from where I live the day after the auction. Any tips on what to look for? I've been watching theredneckpicker's videos and there's just SO much I don't know in terms of prices. I think I'll mostly be looking at books and collectibles, maybe some tools if I can get them cheap. Any advice on how to start building a knowledge of prices?

You guys have helped me so much! Thank you so much for taking me under your wings!

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
Re: First auction on Friday
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »
Good luck at your first!  One thing I challenge you to do is to get involved with the bidding atleast once. You'll be surprised at how many nobodies find that first hand raise hard to do. Even if you know you won't win the unit just get in the mix up it will make you feel more comfortable with everything

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
So I'm pretty excited, but since I'm new, I don't plan on actually winning anything. Still, there's 13 units and I'm taking $100 just in case. Just a few last minute questions!

I'll be using a Ford F-150. It has a sizable bed and two rows of seats so I can use the back seats for fragile stuff. The seats also fold to make a more roomy area. My question is should I bungee things to the bed of the truck individually or is it better to bungee a tarp over everything to keep them down?

I also want to start networking, but I'm not exactly sure of what icebreakers a noobie could start with. Any tips?

I'll also be going to a multi-family yard sale that's just 5 minutes away from where I live the day after the auction. Any tips on what to look for? I've been watching theredneckpicker's videos and there's just SO much I don't know in terms of prices. I think I'll mostly be looking at books and collectibles, maybe some tools if I can get them cheap. Any advice on how to start building a knowledge of prices?

You guys have helped me so much! Thank you so much for taking me under your wings!

Question #1. There is no "one sixe fits all" rule to straping and hauling. It just takes experience to figure out what you are transporting and the best way to move it. Things to think about: What is the center of gravity of the object(s), how fragile is the object(s), what kind of skid resistance does the object(s) have, how light is it (will it go airborne), how valuable is it? More straps equals lost time, less straps may equal lost money.

Question #2. What do you have to offer to the other party? Start there.

Question #3 Same as #1, it just takes time and experience. Some people are jacks of all trades, but that comes from 20 to 30 years or more in the resell business. I would suggest you start with one category of product and become as knowledgeable as you can about it. It is easier to start with something that is already a hobbie, you like fishing? Research vintage and modern fishing tackle and concentrate on "picking" these items from flea markets and yard sales only. Great way to develop your base of knowledge. I would be wary about trying to look for many of the items that have been popularized by American Pickers, Pawn Stars, the auction shows, etc. You and everybody out there is scouring the countryside looking for old advertisment signs, license plates, bycicles, duck decoys, etc. The best strategy would be to concentrate on something of relatively small to moderate value, that the average picker or shopper cares nothing about, and the average seller is basically giving away.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
Good luck at your first!  One thing I challenge you to do is to get involved with the bidding atleast once. You'll be surprised at how many nobodies find that first hand raise hard to do. Even if you know you won't win the unit just get in the mix up it will make you feel more comfortable with everything

Yea I'm taking my tiny $100 just in case  ;D with 13 units I'm almost sure I'm going to be bidding at least once.

It is easier to start with something that is already a hobbie, you like fishing? Research vintage and modern fishing tackle and concentrate on "picking" these items from flea markets and yard sales only. Great way to develop your base of knowledge. The best strategy would be to concentrate on something of relatively small to moderate value, that the average picker or shopper cares nothing about, and the average seller is basically giving away.

This is fantastic advice, only my interests are computers and magic: the gathering. computers don't age well and magic already has a huge market that's been booming for years so I guess I'll just wait until something catches my eye and stick to that.
Thanks for your other advice, too!

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

I used to physically shake when bidding on units.  I asked a few 'regulars' if the nerves ever go away?  A few chuckled and others said 'nope'.  But I think they were joshing me, because the last two units I won......can't say I recall the butterflies making an appearance.

On to the OP~Cobia is dead on with the advice.  My husband and I often 'disagree' on how to pack n strap it all down.  I usually fret the whole way home.  I guess I should relax about that too, as we have yet to lose even a sheet of paper.

As far as icebreakers, just be yourself.  Be polite.  So often folks forget this simplest life lesson.  I've found the best advice to anybody attending their first auction is to keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.  You'll learn so much! 

Also have some fun.  Nothing like the first time to an auction....they open the door and you see it for yourself.  Step up, take a long look and then step back and try to figure what you think it'll go for.  It's a great way to gauge your aptitude for the business and the local crowd.

And finally the best way to 'figure out prices' is research and contacts.  I've learned so much in the few months that I've been doing this. 

Best of luck to you~

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
I have an Avalanche so don't really have to worry about strapping stuff down unless it's going to slide around in the back.  On my trailier I normally strap and tarp things down.  I do this due to local laws and weather then to hold things down.  I also over-strap and as Cobia said - that cost time.

On the networking - just be yourself at the auction.  I walked up to all the regulars that were in a circle talking and joking, and just nodded my head and said hello.  Being in the south most people are friendly.  After that I mostly sat back, watched, and listened.  After a few auctions I made semi-friends and would joke around, talk with the regulars more and learned of other auctions, etc.

As for "picking" - even old computers can be profitable.  Old hobbiest will buy 5.25 disk drives, combo drives, etc.

Magic cards -- I've sold most of mine off so not kept up with the market.  I know most sports and non-sports cards have tanked in prices of late.  Think that is due to everyone trying to sell off stuff for money and people not buying due to same money situation.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Good luck tomorrow and everyone has given you great advice.

We tie everything off. (two of us so pretty fast) But too we look like the Beverly Hillbillies stack as high as we can.. LOL

One thing you will notice is how people empty the units. On one of our caravans unless it is a pack 10 x 20, they are loaded with their stuff at the next location. FAST.  ;D

Take a roll of black trash bags and a broom with you. If you do pick up one there is usually loose stuff, or the bags that were used are ripped,  and you can sweep it out.

Have fun.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »
oh yea that was another concern I had. When they say it must be swept clean, what exactly does that entail? I mean, obviously you empty the unit and then sweep it but are there any actual guidelines for that?

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:27:49 AM »
oh yea that was another concern I had. When they say it must be swept clean, what exactly does that entail? I mean, obviously you empty the unit and then sweep it but are there any actual guidelines for that?

It is just so they can rent it without doing anything. Just sweep out. Look out for the units with grease and oil. Here they expect that cleaned up too.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
It is just so they can rent it without doing anything. Just sweep out. Look out for the units with grease and oil. Here they expect that cleaned up too.

Save your lungs! Make sure you wear a dust mask when sweeping and sometimes you need to wear it when loading and sorting.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »
How did it go Shmoopy?

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:34:47 AM »
A friend of mine went to a garage sale and bought a large blue tote full of Magic cards for 20 bucks. the lady was selling her son's things while he was away at college.

xx
Got 2 on Friday

Started by Jedi

10 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 10:31:14 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Got a unit on Friday

Started by ZoSo

20 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 10:07:54 PM
by jrossjr79