Storage Auctions

Here is a dumb question......

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: Here is a dumb question......
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »
Wow, I'm not trying to step on any toes here. I realize that buying lockers is NOTHING like the tv shows and knew that going into it... I am NOT afraid of a little (or alot) of hard work. I am knew at this and also have a full-time job, so I am not planning on taking over the industry. Apparently the "regulars" at the auctions also thought I was there to infringe on their territory. I'm not quite certain how one group of people have the claim to ALL storage auctions. I went to my first auction this week and the regulars were flat out MEAN to myself and another couple that was new at it as well. I have never been treated so badly by strangers. If I were to open a coffee shop in my city, I couldn't expect that no one else would ever open a coffee shop as a competitor. The nature of capitalism is competitive.

You have already explained the reason for the animosity towards you. You have a FULL-TIME job and are doing storage auctions part-time. You are competing against people who have little to no other means of income, of course they are not going to be friendly with you. Before the TV shows this was a underground industry where people with few other alternatives could make a living. Think about people with felony records who can't get jobs anywhere else, people on disability, people who dropped out of school before graduating (high or middle, not college) people who are retired with little retirement income. I am not saying you don't have a right to do storage auctions, you absolutely do, but understand many of your competitors would be lost without the income they make doing storage auctions. If it doesn't work out for you, you still have a full time job.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »
Man jrossjr79 you got it going on with your get rid of pile here is an idea for the tires.

http://wuvie.net/tireplanter.htm

My Grandmother had a few in her yard from a distance they looked like cast iron... :)

That is a good way to do it, Not sure how well they will sell, but it is worth a shot. I still have one tire left.

Really it sickens you?? If you read my posts.....I am doing the exact same thing with my inventory as you are. I just happen to live in the greenest city in the US and they don't believe in waste.

P.S. the guy buying cooking oil probably buys it for a bio-diesel ran car.......also popular in my city.

As said I am not trying to offend you. But if you notice my first part of my rant, you would see that you also need to think before you bid. It has been stated that you have gotten 5 lockers, yet only two of those lockers had good stuff in it. The other 3 just trash. This makes me believe one of two things.
1. You are bidding just for the sake of bidding and dont really know what you are bidding on.
2. You dont see all the value that is in your lockers. (And yes I know I read where you do see value).

I do not know what your complete inventory is, so I cant decide which one it is for your circumstances.

Oh and thanks on the tip on the cooking oil, you are probable right on that one.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »
What do I do with all the CRAP?

Dump it in your neighbors yard. :P

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 07:39:38 AM »
Maybe just be a little more picky about what units you buy now that you know what to expect. For myself if I see mattresses or appliances I will not bid on them for now. Maybe down the road when I know what to do with stuff. What I see done around here is people will put stuff up for free on craigslist. You maybe surprised as to what you will be able to give away.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
Dump it in your neighbors yard. :P

Just make sure your neighbor isn't Clint Eastwood!

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:14 AM »
When cities impose such nasty fees on disposal of mattresses or any trash they encourage people to dump then in a vacant lot or along the highway. It is counter productive and stupid to charge that much to dispose of a mattress. We have not got that bad here yet.  I can still take mattresses and sofas to the dump but they say no more then 6 mattresses a day.  I did once dump over 20 in one day all from the same unit.  The other way people get rid of thier trash is to rent a storage unit for the $1 move in special load it with trash and then never pay. How do I know well  where do you think the 20 mattresses came from.  The lesson is if you see matresses in a locker don't buy it.  You can try offering them free on Craigs list I have had good luck at that on ugly mattresses some people will take anything or you can offer to pay them $5 to haul it away.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
I will add about the mattresses and non working appliances. You can take apart the mattresses and throw away all the cushioning and take the coils to a scrap yard. It does not pay much, not really worth my time, but I have a partner that will take them off my hands, and that is what he does with them. Same thing for non working appliances. You can find people who will buy them off that fix them up and sale them. Or you can take it yet again to the scrap yard.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
I will add about the mattresses and non working appliances. You can take apart the mattresses and throw away all the cushioning and take the coils to a scrap yard. It does not pay much, not really worth my time, but I have a partner that will take them off my hands, and that is what he does with them. Same thing for non working appliances. You can find people who will buy them off that fix them up and sale them. Or you can take it yet again to the scrap yard.

I burn them. however the metal parts left over still take a lot of space when hauling scrap. And they don't weight enough to pay anything.

I buy matress units but only if I see value ;)

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:24 AM »
When cities impose such nasty fees on disposal of mattresses or any trash they encourage people to dump then in a vacant lot or along the highway. It is counter productive and stupid to charge that much to dispose of a mattress. We have not got that bad here yet.  I can still take mattresses and sofas to the dump but they say no more then 6 mattresses a day.  I did once dump over 20 in one day all from the same unit.  The other way people get rid of thier trash is to rent a storage unit for the $1 move in special load it with trash and then never pay. How do I know well  where do you think the 20 mattresses came from.  The lesson is if you see matresses in a locker don't buy it.  You can try offering them free on Craigs list I have had good luck at that on ugly mattresses some people will take anything or you can offer to pay them $5 to haul it away.

Why did you buy someones trash dump unit?

Roadvirus

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
When cities impose such nasty fees on disposal of mattresses or any trash they encourage people to dump then in a vacant lot or along the highway.

You can't blame them really. With budget crunches, every dime counts.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
Have you tried posting it under free stuff on craigslist? Given I have no idea what "crap" means to you.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 01:39:42 AM »
Seems to me that the OP gave up.

xx
Dumb & Dumber To

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 07:15:03 PM