Storage Auctions

Is this for me?

Is this for me?
« on: December 21, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
I've been lurking for awhile here, learning what I can to see if this is for me. Still not sure. It's the selling of the items that concerns me.
I'm an ebay Top rated Power Seller, so sells there isn't an issue. It's the other venues that worry me.

I've  noticed that most of you sell at Flea Markets, so I went to a very large one in my area a couple of weekends ago to scope it out. This a well established place with lots of big indoor buildings and acres of outdoor booths. The place gave me the creeps. It smelled bad, and the clientele is not what I'm accustomed to dealing with in my everyday life. Not for me at all. 

Craigslist? I buy stuff on there for resale on ebay sometimes, but don't like the idea of selling from my home to strangers, and it seems that meeting at an a storage facility or whatever could be hit or miss, depending on whether they show up or not.  A lot of wasted time? Maybe.

Yard sales? No.

I'm thinking that most of what you find in these lockers is clothes, kitchen stuff, and misc. furniture. Correct?
Is it worth it for someone like me that prefers ebay, to spend time and money thinking I might find something suitable for me to sell?

sorry for going so long.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Is this for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »

I'm an ebay Top rated Power Seller, so sells there isn't an issue. It's the other venues that worry me.

I'm an eBay Top Rated Power Seller too and one of the ways I get my items is storage units (over 350 lks in 8 years).

I also buy at flea markets, estate sales and yard sales.

I sell every Saturday at a flea market....collectibles, electronics, tools, musical instruments....but not very much ordinary household stuff unless it's in a box and new (toasters, etc). 

But to answer your basic question, THIS DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT'S FOR YOU !

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Yeah, I think the flea market end of the business is a killer for me, and it seems to be a large part of being successful at this.

I sell electronics on ebay, mostly returns that I buy in quantity. Spoiled to shipping small, easy to manage items.

This looks good on TV, and the wife thought it would be a good endeavor for me, but I've been around long enough to know that you don't always do something just because you can.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably keep lurking, I enjoy reading the post here.
Good luck! (never going to get to say, "yuup" am I?) 

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
you could always develop relationships with others who will buy in bulk the flea market/yard sale type of items and you can pick out the good stuff for ebay... maybe furniture can goto a consignment store of some sort if you are not comfortable with craigslist

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »
Well I will agree with Movieman. Does not sound like it is for you.

Will say impressed with you doing your research before jumping in.  ;D

Maybe can help out on the ebay end of this business or 
you could always develop relationships with others who will buy in bulk the flea market/yard sale type of items and you can pick out the good stuff for ebay... maybe furniture can goto a consignment store of some sort if you are not comfortable with craigslist
Most of our sales are consignment. Met a guy that sales the lower end stuff to a thrift store, and has a buyer for the furniture, and now us for the kids clothes (just pick up not paying for them).

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
I think if you are questioning if it is for you than probably isn't.To be succesfull you need to put in a lot of time and energy.
Good luck with the ebay sales.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Just one thought for you. Sell the big stuff, and for the used household items that you don't feel comfortable selling, donate them and get some nice tax deduction receipts.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
From what I've read Ben - this isn't for you.  If you don't like yard sales and flea markets then you don't want to do this.  Many times the smalls you get are too marginal for ebay.  The shipping and fees just eat your profit.

That said you may still want to hit a few storage auctions.  Not to buy but to make contacts.  If you know the ebay market well or have a specific nich you sell in you could buy cheap from people that do buy lockers.  Most people use a turn and burn strategy, specially when they get the initial cost of the locker and everything else is profit.  The quicker they sell it the better.  So you could become a "buyer" that you then sell on ebay.

If you don't like smelly, dust covered, who knows what stuff....don't do this.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »

I've  noticed that most of you sell at Flea Markets, so I went to a very large one in my area a couple of weekends ago to scope it out. This a well established place with lots of big indoor buildings and acres of outdoor booths. The place gave me the creeps. It smelled bad, and the clientele is not what I'm accustomed to dealing with in my everyday life. Not for me at all. 

Craigslist? I buy stuff on there for resale on ebay sometimes, but don't like the idea of selling from my home to strangers, and it seems that meeting at an a storage facility or whatever could be hit or miss, depending on whether they show up or not.  A lot of wasted time? Maybe.

Yard sales? No.

The above comes off kind of snobbish.  If I'm wrong, apologies.

Let me tell you.....if you find the clientele/atmosphere at a flea market/swap meet "creepy" and 'smelling bad' you'd hate your fellow 'bidders'.  There are very few Brandi's and Dave Hesters.  Most are like Darell with less of a wardrobe change and not as refined in the manner department~

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »
Rockin - I doubt he meant it that way.  I figure (correct me if wrong Ben) that he and wife are middle-income or higher financially and in those social circles.  People have comfort zones and certain views due to the situations they are in.  Going outside of those zones and views causes lots of nerviousness.  How many times have you walked on a street or mall and got a little nervous about the large biker looking dude behind you.  Or for even more modern times - you grow more alert when see a person in arab clothing or speaking such.  I know I do even knowing 99% of the time it's nothing.  Heck our pastor rides a harley, has a beard, and dresses in leather on some outings.

Take for example the flea market.  Many of us buy and sell there.  Even I only sell in certain locations at the market as some parts stink to me due to all the candles, etc.  I love the Mexicans / Hispanics that come to the market.  Many of the sellers don't as they always want to negotiate the price of stuff.  I lived in Panama for 2 years and it's a way of life.  It's part of their culture to negotiate over prices.  Most americans just ask "how much" and either buy or not.

Anyways - like you said Rockin.  Most people at the auctions can be just as bad or worse then the people you are in contact with at the flea.  I know for a fact in GA in the summer that we all smell pretty ripe by the time we look at 1/2 a dozen lockers.

Can you tell it's a very slow day at work today......

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
Rockin - I doubt he meant it that way.  I figure (correct me if wrong Ben) that he and wife are middle-income or higher financially and in those social circles.  People have comfort zones and certain views due to the situations they are in.  Going outside of those zones and views causes lots of nerviousness.  How many times have you walked on a street or mall and got a little nervous about the large biker looking dude behind you.  Or for even more modern times - you grow more alert when see a person in arab clothing or speaking such.  I know I do even knowing 99% of the time it's nothing.  Heck our pastor rides a harley, has a beard, and dresses in leather on some outings.
You may be right and that is why I offered apologies in advance.  I'm just one who feels pretty comfortable dealing with all types of people.   You have to be to do what we do.

Take for example the flea market.  Many of us buy and sell there.  Even I only sell in certain locations at the market as some parts stink to me due to all the candles, etc.  I love the Mexicans / Hispanics that come to the market.  Many of the sellers don't as they always want to negotiate the price of stuff.  I lived in Panama for 2 years and it's a way of life.  It's part of their culture to negotiate over prices.  Most americans just ask "how much" and either buy or not.
Our flea market is one giant melting pot!  Primarily hispanic and I don't speak spanish, but always manage to close a deal.  And it's amazing......a smile is universal.  We often give out toys to the wee ones.  Even with a language barrier you can understand the gratitude.  I do go to a smaller market as the large one just seems so commercial with mostly imports and the like.

Anyways - like you said Rockin.  Most people at the auctions can be just as bad or worse then the people you are in contact with at the flea.  I know for a fact in GA in the summer that we all smell pretty ripe by the time we look at 1/2 a dozen lockers.
OK picture this....Tucson Arizona, summer time with temperature hitting 105 degrees, 60 large men smushed around me as go from unit to unit, facility to facility, indoors outdoors indoors outdoors......Yikes!!!  Makes me so grateful for this time of year!

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »
I figure (correct me if wrong Ben) that he and wife are middle-income or higher financially and in those social circles.  People have comfort zones and certain views due to the situations they are in.

Must be pyschic.

I do like the idea about attending auctions and buying from the successful bidder items I am interested in. Other good ideas too, but this one may suit me the best. Go to a few auctions and give out cards letting them know what I'm looking for. (Thanks craiglstauction)
Thanks to all of you. I learn something valuable everytime I check in here.
And, It's FREE!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
To be honest, this more than likely is not the business for you. You will have to open yourself up a bit. I can understand if flea markets give you the creeps, and not wanting to deal with people at your house or even at a public venue  (VIA CraigsList). This business is not for everyone. Number one thing most people need to focus on is several resources, not just one or two, or even three. You need several.

Good Luck :)

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
One more way you could sell but it will cost you someware  around 25% t0 35% is an auction house.  It would be hard to give up that much.  But if you are going to sell just on e-bay alone this would not be for you.