Storage Auctions

Stolen Property

Stolen Property
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
Has anyone ever had items from their lockers turn out to be stolen?  If so, what happens?  Are you stuck with the bill and an empty locker?  I would be very upset if I had to turn over all my newly bought treasures to the cops.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Stolen Property
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
First off how woud you know it was stolen to begin with, you being the person who bought the locker?

Also, even if you did somehow know it was stolen the only way anyone else would know is if you contacted the police.

Aside from items like cars that are actually registered and have a paper trail you probably wouldn't know to begin with and even if you did know you woudl have yourself to blame for contacting someone about it.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »
I know the cops in my town monitor craigslist for stolen stuff.  I dont think its all that likely, but if I do end up with a bunch of stolen goods I would hate for the cops to come after me. 

"Bought this stuff at a storage auction, huh?  Heard that one before, come with us."

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
I know the cops in my town monitor craigslist for stolen stuff.  I dont think its all that likely, but if I do end up with a bunch of stolen goods I would hate for the cops to come after me.  

"Bought this stuff at a storage auction, huh?  Heard that one before, come with us."

Well, you could take a cover shot from the outside of the lkr after you won it, and then when inside and you find super-deluxe items you could photograph those in their surroundings. This might help. Then if they were stolen you could show those photos, cops could talk to property manager, name could be tracked...might have had previous police exposure for burglary, etc.

A long shot it will ever happen, but wouldn't take much to take some pics.
I have a story about a stolen Harley which I related elsewhere in these threads. I'll try to find it and post the link to it.
Edit: Here's the link to stolen Harley, police action involved and what they did. See reply #8 in the thread below.

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?topic=465.0

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:17:27 AM »
I bought a unit that turned out to have a bunch of stolen clothes in it.  I would have never known, but I took them in to a consignment store I do business with to sell them, and she pointed out where they had small slits where somebody had cut the ink tags off.  She wouldn't buy them (she knows what I do and she knew I didn't do it, but she doesn't want that crap in her store) so they all ended up at Goodwill. 

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
Technically, you have a sales receipt for your auction purchases. Guns, I would have checked out, but I would sell everything else. I agree with Movieman, if you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, take some photos just in case something does come up.

xx
Stolen items on eBay

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 10:24:06 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Stolen items found, Denver

Started by Alias300

2 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 01:49:04 PM
by bwd111