Storage Auctions

Why do I have to sign in and show ID?

Why do I have to sign in and show ID?
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »
I've been to a few auctions so far that made me give them my ID# and personal information. What do they do with this information .......why do they need it?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Why do I have to sign in and show ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
They might need it just to make sure you're not the owner of the unit going up for auction. They also might need it just in case a ruckus breaks out, or they might need it in case a winning bidder backs out and they have to go down the list of other bidders. You could always as them for their reason.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »
I've been to a few auctions so far that made me give them my ID# and personal information. What do they do with this information .......why do they need it?

It's also required because the auctioneer wants to demonstrate to the facility that he/she is and continues to bring in a decent number of bidders.

Most rules state that at least 3 bidders have to be in attendance so this also goes to prove that.

The facilities that photocopy your license, which is few in my area, is because they've been burned before with people buying units and dumping the contents on the ground or just leaving the junk behind.  This gives them an extra level of protection against that, although there isn't much they can do if you do, other than ban you from future auctions.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »
They could use the information for all types of purposes. To prove they had a public sale and complied with the lien laws of the state, for liability reasons, in case they need to get in touch with the person who purchased a unit for whatever reason, to have you sign away your rights to sue them, etc. etc.

I've seen a lot of inconsistency with sign in sheets. Some facilities make you show identification while others don't. Some have you sign a waiver while others don't. I'm sure some people even sign in under an alias.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Singing in is pretty common, I don't believe I've ever had to show ID unless I actually purhcased a unit. Reason for it? Who knows its their place they make the rules but it is a controlled environment you can't go in unless you rent a unit or are there for an acution. If you are there for an auction they want to know who is on their property

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »
After reading through the comments it makes sense. There are a lot of things that require ID now a days just to make sure money is made or for safety reasons.

xx
Can't Sign In to eBay

Started by MovieMan

13 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 12:02:07 PM
by the teacher
xx
A surefire sign you got a good locker~

Started by rockin the retro

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 07:31:12 PM
by monkeybusiness