Storage Auctions

Feedback

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Feedback
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
Unlike our competitors, OSA has a eBay like feedback system in place. What do you think the pros & cons are of a feedback system and do you think it will be beneficial to online storage auctions?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
I think it will be very important in years to come. Especially since storage facilities have the right to refuse any bid. If you were a facility manager and someone with 0 feedback won a unit for $500 and the runner up at $490 had a strong history of paying and cleaning out their units properly, which bidder would you choose?

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »
The risk you would run with a feedback system on OSA is buyers leaving false feedback to scare away new bidders.. What's to stop a buyer from putting "This facility messes with the units and takes valuable items... etc. etc."? I think that the buyer's feedback ranking is a moot point to the facility.

In the long run, you could have companies walking away from your service due to the undue bad ratings they could potentially receive.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
^ +1 on that , double edged sword at best

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
The risk you would run with a feedback system on OSA is buyers leaving false feedback to scare away new bidders.. What's to stop a buyer from putting "This facility messes with the units and takes valuable items... etc. etc."? I think that the buyer's feedback ranking is a moot point to the facility.

In the long run, you could have companies walking away from your service due to the undue bad ratings they could potentially receive.

I respect your point of view. I guess I'm just naive, because I believe that most people are inherently good. Sure, there might be issues with people leaving unnecessary negative feedback. And if a party asks for the case to be reviewed, we'll have to step in and make a determination. Even if someone were to get negative feedback, nothing is really stopping them from creating a new account. However, feedback is like a credit rating and it can only help those who try to protect it. People who do the right thing won't have any problems and it might prevent some people from doing the wrong thing.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
I disagree, I think it will be every important in years to come. Especially since storage facilities have the right to refuse any bid. If you were a facility manager and someone with 0 feedback won a unit for $500 and the runner up at $490 had a strong history of paying and cleaning out their units properly, which bidder would you choose?

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that once the bids are in that the facility would have the right to "choose" who won the auction?

That doesn't sound right. Shouldn't the highest bidder win?  If he didn't pay then the 2nd highest bidder would win I assume.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:52:16 PM »
Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that once the bids are in that the facility would have the right to "choose" who won the auction?

That doesn't sound right. Shouldn't the highest bidder win?  If he didn't pay then the 2nd highest bidder would win I assume.

Of course, the highest bidder should win and in most cases the storage facility is going to accept the winning bid. I'm just saying that, if they wanted to, they could refuse the highest bid (if that bidder had zero or negative feedback) to go with a bidder with positive feedback. Probably won't happen that often, but just like at an in-person sale, the storage facility reserves the right to reject any bid.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
Of course, the highest bidder should win and in most cases the storage facility is going to accept the winning bid. I'm just saying that, if they wanted to, they could refuse the highest bid (if that bidder had zero or negative feedback) to go with a bidder with positive feedback. Probably won't happen that often, but just like at an in-person sale, the storage facility reserves the right to reject any bid.

Uh...I think that MIGHT happen if they didn't receive a bid that was as high as they would like, but I think they would have a REALLY HARD TIME justifying not letting someone bid because they didn't like the way someone "looked" which might be the equivalent of not having good "feedback".

If they didn't accept person "A"s bid because it wasn't high enough that is one thing, but then they would probably not accept person "B"s that was only $5 higher.

IMO, one can't compare the situation of a live auction with one online. The online auction has hidden aspects not apparent to the bidders...aspects such as you project here.

Nope I don't see the logic in that at all.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 01:09:07 AM »
I don't think we will have many auctions where a bid is refused simply because OSA allows the seller to set a reserve, start the auction at a set price or enable a buy it now or submit offer option. Here is an example of the submit offer: http://onlinestorageauctions.com/auctions/non-lien-sale-storage-facility/pickers-paradise/  I'm sure most storage facilities won't use the buy it now or submit offer, but they're nice features for private sellers or storage facilities having a non-lien sales.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
dumb question but if the facilities arent required to take the highest bid regardless who its from what to stop them from schill bidding up the room themselves

Offline eBID

• The best way to predict the future is to build it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
I think if you look at online auctions as trying to replicate what goes on during a live auction, it's hard to see how feedback adds anything.  Sure, the auctioneer knows the regulars and their bidding styles and which ones are reliable to deal with but in the end, the facility takes a cleaning deposit (or not from a regular) and sells to the highest bidder.

In other marketplaces, feedback ratings allow buyers and sellers to choose known good players to do business with.

Given that there's a legal framework around the auction process, I have a hard time seeing how this "value add" applies to lien auctions.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
From a logistics standpoint, I think time and energy is better served gaining new clients and exposing the market to your service.

As a bidder, I expect to win - if I am the highest bidder. Period. Just like at a live auction. 

What if I don't pay?  For whatever reason? Then guess I lose the right to bid at OSA ever again.  No second chances, no "good ol' boy" network, no reasons or excuses accepted.

Make THAT known and you won't have to mess with a feedback system.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
From a logistics standpoint, I think time and energy is better served gaining new clients and exposing the market to your service.

As a bidder, I expect to win - if I am the highest bidder. Period. Just like at a live auction. 

What if I don't pay?  For whatever reason? Then guess I lose the right to bid at OSA ever again.  No second chances, no "good ol' boy" network, no reasons or excuses accepted.

Make THAT known and you won't have to mess with a feedback system.

It's in the terms of service in bold red letters. Don't pay, manipulate the bids, etc. and your IP address is permanently blocked.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
It's in the terms of service in bold red letters. Don't pay, manipulate the bids, etc. and your IP address is permanently blocked.

At at an "in person" auction the auctioneer and facility manager can truly prevent a person from bidding on a unit if they have been a problem in the past. However, that "bad person's friend" or relative could bid for them probably.

In an online situation where the bidder's ip address would be blocked, I would think it wouldn't be too much of a problem to use a new bidder's name and a new ip address to get around any "security".

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
At at an "in person" auction the auctioneer and facility manager can truly prevent a person from bidding on a unit if they have been a problem in the past. However, that "bad person's friend" or relative could bid for them probably.

In an online situation where the bidder's ip address would be blocked, I would think it wouldn't be too much of a problem to use a new bidder's name and a new ip address to get around any "security".

True, there are ways around a blocked IP address. They could just take their laptop to Starbucks and create a new account and their IP address would be different. Or, they could even bid from their cell phone. I think that most of the people who use the site have good intentions. I haven't had to block anyone's IP address yet, but that might change as we continue to grow.

xx
Getting your first neg feedback is actually very freeing!!!

Started by rulesforrebels

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 04:02:53 PM
by alloro
xx
The Zero Feedback Buyer

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 03:19:11 PM
by bwd111
xx
I have a question & I would appreciate your feedback.

Started by Travis

44 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 05:26:59 PM
by Travis
xx
What's the point of feedback?

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 04:12:58 PM
by rulesforrebels