Storage Auctions

Has anyone bought a unit using SealedOnlineBids.com?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Has anyone bought a unit using SealedOnlineBids.com?
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
Has anyone here bought a unit using SealedOnlineBids.com? And if so, can you enter a bid and a separate max bid? Is there a way to snipe the auction?

Re: Has anyone bought a unit using SealedOnlineBids.com?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
Yes I  bought one unit and bid on a couple of others. I would think that you would have to have multiple accounts to do what you are asking. When I bid I just enter my max bid and hope for the best.
One I was bidding on kept forwarding the end time. Auction was supposed to end at 2:00 then at 2:00 time changed to 2:30. Not sure what that was about. Another one I was bidding on disappeared about a half of an hour before end time. I really wanted it and have a good relationship with the manager so I called her. The locker owners mom came in and paid for the unit so she had to pull it. Was a real disappointment but that is how it goes.
I have two local facilities that use SealedOnlineBids and they are the only ones I will bid on. I have dealt with the managers in the past and have trust in what they post.   

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »
Well, we're about 5 days away from end of the online auction. So far, all of the units are still within a reasonable price range although a few are getting close to their cap. There is one unit that I have my eye on that has an almost new leather recliner and some nice coffee & end tables that has only been bid up to $25. I'm hoping the majority of bidders aren't interested in it because I would love to put it in my living room. There are a few other units that have some potential. One unit has a decent cherry bedroom set and a bunch of other furniture that is in bubble wrap and moving blankets. Another unit is a 5X10 that is packed to the ceiling. It's around $300 and you can see a $400 return in the first 3 feet. 

I'm sure that the other bidders are like me, waiting until the last few minutes to place a bid to try to snipe the auction.

I'll let you guys know how it's going as we get closer to the auction date.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
I now see why online storage auctions are gaining in popularity with storage facilities...the prices are through the roof. All of the units except a few are hundreds over what a sane person would pay. This one unit in particular has a computer with a LCD monitor, some medium end surround sound speakers, a green metal box, a bunch of DVD cases (don't know if the DVDs are in them) and a hard case for a keyboard. I guess people are gambling that there is a new Korg keyboard in the case because they have ran the unit up to $780 and we still have another 48 hours before the auction closes. Ironically, my recliner unit is only at $45, which doesn't make sense because there is at least $700 worth of almost new furniture inside.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
It's the morning of the auction and still 11 units left. 9 of the 11 are hundreds over the limit I set and I was being quite liberal/optimistic when I set my budget. I'm still in on 2 possibly 3 units. Of course my recliner unit is only at $65, which I can only attribute to it being the only unit on the second page. I think a majority of people just don't realize there is a second page.

I have one more unit that I'm really interested in which has a lot of bubble wrapped furniture and possibly some antiques. It's only $20 over my limit so I might bid another $20-50 at the last minute and see if I can pick it up.

The auction is scheduled to close at 2:00 PM MST, so I'll give you guys an update once the auction has concluded.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
1 hour before the auction ends - the two best units disappear. Not sure whether the owners paid or whether they were just put there to get people interested in the auction and the other units. Kind of like a bait and switch. The recliner unit is still at $65 but is now on the first page with the other units...we will see what happens. 

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
The auction has ended and all I can say is the idiots came out in full force. The last few minutes before every auction ended, bids went up 40-50% of their already inflated prices. See the following unit that sold for $600. http://auctionstx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bare-Unit.jpg

I ended up winning two units (the only two that will resell for a profit). The first unit had a couple of great lamps, a dryer, a computer with all accessories & monitor, a cheap modern computer desk, a nice boom box, a large oak coffee table, 4 cheap rod iron chairs and something large underneath a blanket...probably the glass table for the chairs. Bought it for $106 + tax + 10% buyers premium.

Second unit was my recliner unit. Bids stayed at $65 until the last minute and then a couple people ran me up to $150, which was still the bargain unit of the day. This unit has a almost brand new brown leather recliner, a nice modern solid wood dresser & end table, a modern metal coffee table, and a full size mattress in good condition. I should be able to sell a few things in the unit, get my money back and then take a nap in my new recliner. ;D

The main reason I chronicled this experience was to help others that have never used Sealed Online Bids before. All in all, it was on okay experience. Registration was fairly simple. The bidding seems to be on the up and up, I mean I don't think they have anything rigged because both of the units I bought sold below my max proxy bid. I was disappointed that the other units sold for as high as they did; the people who bought them will definitely lose money.

I wish I could say that it was a rip off and to not waste your time, but I did get two units, one at a reasonable price and the other was a steal. My advice, take your time looking at everything in the photos, set a max bid in advance and stick with it. If the unit exceeds your max bid, walk away.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
Upon inspection, both units had hidden surprises. Found a really nice clock that we plan to keep. The table was under the blanket but there was also a coffee table and two end tables hidden under there. I should be able to resell coffee/end tables for $100.

In the recliner unit, there was a metal headboard and bed that goes with the mattress. The mattress was in good condition so I should be able to get $150 for it and the bed. There was also 2 end tables and a mirror that matches the dresser that were hidden in the unit. The dresser turned out to be great quality in near mint condition. These units were a total score.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
I'd give it shot but none in my area.  The Texas ones would have to be pretty good for me to bid.  I'd have to pay either storage until I was in town next or pay to have it moved.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »
Glad to see you did not have a bad experience. I know that a lot of people are reluctant to bid online. I think most of these units that go for so much are newbies like we see at the auctions or maybe people buying for personal use. I just hope that no to many facilities go this was because I truly like going to the auction.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
Interesting point. This facility recovered double what they would have if they had a traditional auction. They said they were very pleased with Sealed Online Bids. I definitely see online storage auctions as a part of the future of this business. I think storage facilities will like the high selling prices but I also think the professional buyers will avoid online storage auctions because the units are just too expensive, unless you just get lucky like I did.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
Well, that's a shocker. Here is the link to the article.

insideselfstorage.com/news/2013/01/selfstorage-onlineauction-website-storagebattles-merges-with-sealedonlinebids.aspx

Obviously Storage Battles bought out Sealed Online Bids. They probably realized that the only way to beat a competitor that had a 2 year jump on them was acquire the competitor and eliminate all of their competition.

The only thing they didn't count on was a crazy guy like myself starting VirtualStorageAuction.com (coming soon) and making it a free service for storage facilities and buyers.  ;)

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »
They are in GEORGIA! I have bid on some, but alas they tend to go to high for my taste.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »
Sorry StorMe, I accidentally deleted your post...hit the wrong button. They get around the Georgia code by ignoring it.
They are operating in several states illegally and in other states by gray areas in the law. To my knowledge, no state's storage lien laws specifically say that the sale can be held online. Some states specify the sale must occur at the storage facility or a reasonably near public place. The internet is not a public place by legal definition.

First of all, no agency is overseeing the storage auction industry. The odds of a government agency investigating a storage facility for improper lien sale procedures is like 1 in 1000. Second, these online auction companies have disclaimers that protect them from potential law suits / criminal actions. They advise the storage facility owner/employee to check their states lien laws before posting. They then disclaim responsibility for anything a private party posts. Even though they know it's illegal in some states, the are counting on the ignorance of some storage facility owners and employees who aren't aware or misinterpret their state's storage lien laws.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, everything will be fine until the first disgruntled tenant takes them all to court. The tenant will win and then there will be precedence for future lawsuits.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
I bought a few when they first came out and I did very well. After that the prices go through the roof! Why pay 10% findes fee. Plus you cant see whats really in there. I say let the newebies use online auctions since they love to over bid!

xx
Anyone bought a really bad unit lately?

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 05:47:45 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Just bought my first unit

Started by steelerfan

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 09:30:26 PM
by Drew
xx
first unit bought

Started by terrorbow

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 09:40:04 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
The 12' x 30' Uh Oh, maybe we shouldn't have bought this unit!

Started by the teacher

1 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 12:21:47 PM
by Drew