Storage Auctions

Poll

How do you feel about buyer's premiums?

Doesn't bother me. I just lower my bid to compensate for the premium.
3 (27.3%)
Don't like them. They just make things more confusing.
8 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:07 AM »
How do you feel about buyer's premiums? What do you think the advantages & disadvantages are for the buyer, the seller & the auctioneer?

I would really appreciate it if everyone would participate in this poll (yes, even those of you who haven't registered yet. It takes less than a minute to join the forum.) We will be using the data received for a future article.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: How do you feel about buyer's premiums?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:14 AM »
I think they suck. To me it's like getting the dinner check with the tip already figured into it.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:57:12 AM »
I don't like them at all, but it's not hard to allow for when you're bidding.  It's just extra cash in the auctioneers pocket that we get nothing extra for!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »
I think that some buyers forget about the buyer's premium in the heat of the moment and end up overbidding.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »
How do you feel about buyer's premiums? What do you think the advantages & disadvantages are for the buyer, the seller & the auctioneer?

I would really appreciate it if everyone would participate in this poll (yes, even those of you who haven't registered yet. It takes less than a minute to join the forum.) We will be using the data received for a future article.

1) One has to account for it when bidding.
2) I can't see that it's any benefit to the buyer...other than it rules out bidders who have less cash to spend.
3) It's obviously a benefit for the facility as it apparently helps pay their fee to the auctioneer.
4) The auctioneer is going to get a fee no matter what.

But beyond all that, your idea to use the results of this poll as data in a future article about the subject REALLY leaves a lot to be desired. In the three years I've been here (and the placement of half a dozen polls) I've never seen more than 6 or so people even VOTE in a poll here.....and that was when things were more active here.

The forum moves on because a dozen or so of us (out of over 3,000) post here and I guess maybe 50 to a hundred people come on each day to do some reading.

To state ----""x" percent of people who answered a poll believe "y" about something is a sample base so small as to not be used at all. I don't know what sample number one would need but it would have to be in the hundreds at a miniimum and closer to a thousand even better.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:34:52 AM »
Polls are usually misused.  I worked in a couple of political campaigns when I was younger and the pollsters I worked for were very scientific.  The ones you see online or even on TV shows are used to make a point that was already settled on. 

Anyway buyer's premium do not bother me because I know them beforehand.  I think of them as a small advantage because they are generally hated so it thins out the competition.

I actually think that the buyer's premium on Storagebattles is a good thing.  I believe in capitalism and obviously people are willing to pay it.  It's like the fees on Ebay and PayPal, I hate them but they provide a service not found anywhere else.   

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
I wish they didn't exist, but the auctioneers around here rarely use them. I can only think of 1 storage auctioneer that uses them. He only uses them when he doesn't negotiate a favorable deal with the facility. Typically those auctions bring smaller crowds and that facility ends up renegotiating with that auctioneer to give him a bigger commission.. or they find another outlet to sell their lockers.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »
Don't like them since they obviously increase the cost of the units. Don't see any benefit for the buyers. I would assume the auctioneer or facility like them because they increase their profit. Maybe a benefit for the buyers would be that it might encourage the facility to sell the units sooner since they actually might make a little money?

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
I think that some buyers forget about the buyer's premium in the heat of the moment and end up overbidding.

That is really the only downside in my opinion. If I know beforehand, who cares, I see a locker I want to bid on, I decide my high bid is $500. So $500 - 10% buyers premium is $450. My high bid is now $450. Another bidder comes in his high bid is also $500. He forgets about the buyer premium and ends up paying $550. Now if There were no premiums and I did not bid $500 first I would have lost anyway. But if there were no permiums and I bid $500 first I win. But in the heat off the moment max bids change as well and usually my original max bid is 30%-50% lower than I really would go sometimes.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

I think that happens a lot, sometimes on an unit I want, I'll say it out loud when the bidding is going on, Theirs 10% buyers premium right? So people remember.

xx
anyone that know, feel free to chime in

Started by BigBizzz

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 07:27:35 PM
by BigBizzz
xx
How do you feel about Obama Care

Started by Travis

19 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 06:17:52 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Do storage auctions make you feel like you're gambling?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 11:51:50 PM
by alloro
clip
Feel like a storage unit gypsy with this crystal ball.

Started by Travis

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2015, 12:40:04 AM
by Travis