Storage Auctions

Storage Battles is now Storage Treasures

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Storage Battles is now Storage Treasures
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
The site is completely down now... Some auctions are ending and people can run the final bid up.. They told me they will not reset the timer, we'll see how that plays out.

I was able to place bids on 3 of them knowing that the site was crashing, we'll see what happens and what I end up stealing.

Reliability will be a huge factor in this niche. If their crashes during traffic spikes, sellers will lose money and buyers will be furious. I can only imagine the complications they'll have when trying to merge sites.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 01:32:37 PM »
Just tried to access Storage Battles, got the following message:

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
Reliability cost $$, where I work as a systems administrator we have to load test all our environments to ensure issues like that don't happen. Paying for Bandwidth, Clustered Server, Load Balancers gets very costly. We're talking 100's of thousands you have to invest in infrastructure and that hardware needs to be refreshed.

Or you leverage amazon cloud services and just pay a monthly charge and let them do the work, I have no clue what external services charge for high availability under crushing load.

But the good news is, if you have that much load, you should be generating a lot of $$ to pay for these costs.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
I hope it stays down for another 30 minutes, I would love to see how this plays out. Theirs one locker I bid on that's going to straight back to home depot.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
Reliability cost $$, where I work as a systems administrator we have to load test all our environments to ensure issues like that don't happen. Paying for Bandwidth, Clustered Server, Load Balancers gets very costly. We're talking 100's of thousands you have to invest in infrastructure and that hardware needs to be refreshed.

Or you leverage amazon cloud services and just pay a monthly charge and let them do the work, I have no clue what external services charge for high availability under crushing load.

But the good news is, if you have that much load, you should be generating a lot of $$ to pay for these costs.

What do you think the cloud service would cost monthly to handle that kind of traffic?

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »
Amazon..

Name:
3-Tier Auto-scalable Web Application Solution
Includes:
1 Load Balancer, 2 Web Servers, 2 App Servers, 1 High Availability Database Server, 30 GB of Storage; 120 GB of Data Transfer

This is $1240 a month..

Now, if your data transfer goes to 100 Terrabytes a month, it's more like 20,000 monthly.. If you need more servers to handle the load cause the code is a processing hog, then it goes up.

You won't know what you need, best to hire a consultant and build a solution and project different scenario's and be able to scale to those solutions when needed.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
I hope it stays down for another 30 minutes, I would love to see how this plays out. Theirs one locker I bid on that's going to straight back to home depot.

Looks like your wish has come true.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
You won't know what you need, best to hire a consultant and build a solution and project different scenario's and be able to scale to those solutions when needed.

Do you consult? If so, it would be great to have someone with your expertise once we outgrow our server.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
I'm not the right person, I know all about it, but I'm not the person to lay out the plan. I'm a developer and I work on the server administration team. I can script and code and that's my primary job function to automate a lot of processes.

I would contact amazon and talk to their sales people and get a free consultation from them, because you are thinking about using their products.  We do that all the time here, we bring in multiple vendors, ask them all kinds of questions. Draw out the scenarios and have them prepare quotes and then we choose one of the vendors. That cost should be free, they are trying to earn your business.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
Looks like your wish has come true.

We'll see what happens, can't wait to take the $10 locker to home depot..

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
I am/ was high bidder on 2, then the site crashed,  I hope I get them.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
We'll see what happens, can't wait to take the $10 locker to home depot..

My guess is they will have an "out" to extend the auction due to technical problems.

A "soft close" provision would take care of that....no bids in the last 1 minute or so of the auction, they extend the close time.

eBay was thinking of implementing that but there was such an uproar it never happened.

If you and vanilla get your lockers I will be very surprised.  Such contingencies are usually thought out in advance I would guess, but time will give us the answer.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
I am/ was high bidder on 2, then the site crashed,  I hope I get them.

How far from your home are the two auctions you had bid on?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
I really feel like this crash could have been prevented. It's really poor planning on their part and the buyers and sellers are the one's suffering. They should have anticipated the increased traffic and stayed one step ahead. It just doesn't make sense to me. They probably make $1200 in commission on every 7-10 auctions. Instead, they go the cheap route and it ends up costing them and the storage facilities tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

As of now, their site has been down over an hour.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
vanillagorilla,

You're only going to get one of them, I took the other from you. I was going to let you have it, but my dad wanted it for some odd reason.. I don't think it's worth the price it was bid up to.

xx
Extra Space Storage gives Storage Treasures a Boost

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post November 13, 2013, 09:18:23 AM
by Travis
xx
Storage Battles Named SBOAlliance Preferred Partner for Online Storage Auctions

Started by StorMe

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 11:04:12 AM
by Travis