Storage Auctions

Storage Battles Joins National Auctioneer's Association

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Storage Battles Joins National Auctioneer's Association
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »
A few months ago I mentioned to Jim from Storage Battles that OnlineStorageAuctions.com would be participating in the National Auctioneers association's convention. I just noticed that he joined the NAA and is now displaying the NAA logo on his site.

Now, I'm not going to say anything negative about our competitor, but I just find it ironic that they would join the NAA when they cut auctioneers out of the process. Auctioneers can't use their site since Storage Battles charges a 10% fee to the buyer and 10% fee to the seller. On other hand, OnlineStorageAuctions.com allows auctioneers (as well as buyers, private sellers & storage facilities) to use the site free of charge. We realize that auctioneers are an integral part of the storage auction process and we made our site free so that auctioneers could use it as a tool.

I'm confused here. Can anyone think of a reason why an auctioneer unfriendly site would join the National auctioneers association? Damage control perhaps?

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Re: Storage Battles Joins National Auctioneer's Association
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
1) Maybe to get more leads..
2) Maybe some facilities have a legal requirement that they must used a certified auctioneer to sell their lockers.
3) Maybe they are hiring auctioneers to do other types of actions for them.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
1) Maybe to get more leads..
2) Maybe some facilities have a legal requirement that they must used a certified auctioneer to sell their lockers.
3) Maybe they are hiring auctioneers to do other types of actions for them.

All logical answers, but I don't believe they allow auctioneers to use their site.

Perhaps it's to prevent an uprising in the auctioneer community. Storage Battles is taking business away from auctioneers and it's just a matter of time before the auctioneers start voicing their opinion. The last thing Storage Battles wants is for auctioneers to lobby against online storage auctions.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
All logical answers, but I don't believe they allow auctioneers to use their site.

They consider themselves auctioneers, and I'm sure they can use their own site..

So if I was a storage facility and my requirements for legal purposes was to use a certified auction company to list and sell my lien units.  Now Storage Battles meets that requirement.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »
I'm confused here. Can anyone think of a reason why an auctioneer unfriendly site would join the National auctioneers association?

To gather information.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
They consider themselves auctioneers, and I'm sure they can use their own site..

So if I was a storage facility and my requirements for legal purposes was to use a certified auction company to list and sell my lien units.  Now Storage Battles meets that requirement.

I see your point, but I don't believe they meet that requirement since they're not "licensed" auctioneers. Anyone can join the National Auctioneers Association, but only licensed auctioneers can have an "Auction." Even storage facilities have to be careful how they word their advertisements. In some states, if an unlicensed individual claims they're having an auction, they're violating auction laws. Storage facilities get around this by advertising a "public sale" or "lien sale."

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »
I see your point, but I don't believe they meet that requirement since they're not "licensed" auctioneers. Anyone can join the National Auctioneers Association, but only licensed auctioneers can have an "Auction." Even storage facilities have to be careful how they word their advertisements. In some states, if an unlicensed individual claims they're having an auction, they're violating auction laws. Storage facilities get around this by advertising a "public sale" or "lien sale."

Who said they are not licensed auctioneers? Maybe they are..

In the "Software Development World" - Which I'm basing my assumptions on is like this. To be considered a Microsoft Gold Partner or say a VMWare Partner - you need X people in your company certified. Once you meet those criteria you will be listed as a partner.  Now when Company XYZ seeks a VMWare Solutions Provider and goes to VMWare site to find one. That company has a chance of getting referral from VMWare directly.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
Who said they are not licensed auctioneers? Maybe they are..

If someone at their company was a licensed auctioneer, they would be required to post their license numbers on their website, auctions and all other advertisements. Plus, that individual would have to be licensed in all 50 states.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/76374

Please read - The whole article then share your thoughts.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
auctionlaw.wordpress.com/state-auction-laws-auctioneer-licensing-requirements/

Georgia (#) (+)
Online Auctions (including “Penny Auctions”) are also required to be licensed

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
entrepreneur.com/article/76374

Please read - The whole article then share your thoughts.

Good advice. I think this is exactly why Storage Battles, OnlineStorageAuctions.com and the other smaller online storage auction services specifically disclaim being a party to the sale. We act as mere portals which remain independent and allow private parties to interact. If we were licensed auctioneers, we would be considered a party to the sale and could be held liable. The last thing I or any of my competitors want is to be involved in a wrongful foreclosure lawsuit. In extreme cases, jurors have awarded in excess of 1 million dollars in these types of cases. It's arguable that Storage Battles, since they collect a fee from the buyer and the seller, is a party to the sale. However, since OnlineStorageAuctions.com is a free service, we remain truly independent. 

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
auctionlaw.wordpress.com/state-auction-laws-auctioneer-licensing-requirements/

Georgia (#) (+)
Online Auctions (including “Penny Auctions”) are also required to be licensed

True, but we (online storage auction services) don't have auctions. We allow sellers to post their personal property or conduct their own lien sales, neither of which require a license.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
What stops a storage facility from listing their auctions on ebay with the Local Pickup Rule?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
What stops a storage facility from listing their auctions on ebay with the Local Pickup Rule?

From what I understand, nothing. I've seen several storage auctions on eBay this year. Although, I think storage facilities are better off listing their units on sites that are dedicated to storage lien sales since most people don't look on eBay for storage unit auctions.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
From what I understand, nothing. I've seen several storage auctions on eBay this year. Although, I think storage facilities are better off listing their units on sites that are dedicated to storage lien sales since most people don't look on eBay for storage unit auctions.

That's just an easy fix for ebay, all they need to do is run an ad during those auction shows on tv and get people looking there, they have the resources and capital to make that happen pretty fast.

xx
Does anyone see any benefit in a national association for storage unit buyers?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 10:24:57 AM
by Travis
xx
Central California Auctioneer Joins American Auctioneer (Dotson) Staff

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 09:29:17 AM
by MovieMan
xx
Storage Unit Buyer's Association