Storage Auctions

What is the mindset behind bidding up an online unit 10 days + before it ends?

I am monitoring some online units and I see one that was just posted, has two weeks left and its already in the thousands.  The price is increasing while I'm looking at it.

I don't see the rationale behind bidding up a room when there is so much time left. 

Ebay people like to watch the item and then sit back and see what happens. 

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Maybe it's a scam?

You have no clue if the facility or if workers from the site owner is bidding up units. I had friends bid up my eBay auctions before.  So it just comes down to, if are you willing to pay the final price that you bid.

I monitored a lot of on-line auctions, only to see the auction get sold, then see that same unit re-listed next month. Makes you think the Facility was trying to boost the $$ amount and failed and then they re-list.

There's really nothing you can do about it. I find is pointless to even look at the lockers available until the last day. So many listings get taken down. Why spend time looking at something that might not be available?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Bidding on a unit anytime before the last hour is just foolish. Doing so brings unnecessary attention to the unit. Ideally, hold off until the last 20 seconds.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
There might be some people out there, especially hobbyists who don't care to watch units every day then every hour then every minute as time ticks down to decide what their final bid will be. I bet some just go ahead and put on their high bid as soon as they find a unit they like and figure they will either win it or they won't.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
There might be some people out there, especially hobbyists who don't care to watch units every day then every hour then every minute as time ticks down to decide what their final bid will be. I bet some just go ahead and put on their high bid as soon as they find a unit they like and figure they will either win it or they won't.

Yes, those people are often referred to as, "having a life." :)

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Yes, those people are often referred to as, "having a life." :)

They're also the same people at live auctions who yell out "$1,000" after the auctioneer says "can I get a hundred?"  ;D

Maybe it's a scam?

You have no clue if the facility or if workers from the site owner is bidding up units. I had friends bid up my eBay auctions before.

This bidding on ebay can get you banned, shill bidding... Against the Terms of service, I would not advertise that I do this if I was you.

I will big 10$ on a unit just so it goes on my list...  I wish there were better tools to track online auctions.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
I will big 10$ on a unit just so it goes on my list...  I wish there were better tools to track online auctions.

What's the advantage of placing a bid over putting it on your watch list? Email notifications?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
What's the advantage of placing a bid over putting it on your watch list? Email notifications?

The auction gets lost or overlooked and he gets in very cheap.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
With these online storage auctions, what keeps a delinquent tenant from registering to Storage Treasures and running up the bid on their own unit?  (I say nothin') They certainly would have no intention of paying for it if they happen to get stuck with the high bid. At the least they could have friends try to run it up too...

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
With these online storage auctions, what keeps a delinquent tenant from registering to Storage Treasures and running up the bid on their own unit?  (I say nothin') They certainly would have no intention of paying for it if they happen to get stuck with the high bid. At the least they could have friends try to run it up too...

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent shill bidding, at online auctions or in-person sales.

xx
Whats the Point in Bidding Online if I Can be Outbid at the Live Auction?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 09:30:14 PM
by Travis
xx
Only two days left on the online auction in Florida !

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 07:02:13 PM
by Travis
xx
What are some items or conditions that will keep you from bidding on a unit?

Started by Travis

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 04:29:34 PM
by fredgsanford
xx
Can the tenant come in and pay for the unit after the bidding has started?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 11:43:03 AM
by Travis