Storage Auctions

Poll

Would you purchase a storage unit online if the facility was 100 miles away?

Yes
No

Would you purchase a storage unit online if the facility was 100 miles away?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Vote in the poll above. Would you purchase a storage unit online if the facility was 100 miles away? Why or why not? Also, Click Here to see the poll for 200 miles.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
It really depends on the unit, but for the most part it'll need to be a special unit..

If you're one of the lucky few that have a 17 ft box truck at your disposal (They would be more inclined). Truck Rentals aren't cheap you're talking about $250-$300 round trip to rent one (best case scenario), so you'll have to tack that on to your costs.

It'll be hard for me, I don't have the set-up to load anything larger then a 5x10 stuffed in one trip.  Locally, the size doesn't really matter to me, I can make multiple trips.

My first and only unit online was just under 100 miles away, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere that has maybe 6-10 auctions a year between 5-6 facilities, my only other options are about 100 miles away.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
If I see a unit that I really want that is more than 200 miles away, I'll try to win a few more units to make the trip worth it. About a year ago, I bought 5 online units in Dallas. 1 unit was tiny, 2 were 5X10 and the other two were 10X10. Luckily, I got it all into one 26" U-Haul, although it was like a game of Tetris making it all fit.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
How much did you pay for the uhaul?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
How much did you pay for the uhaul?

U-Haul has a deal where you get a 26" truck, 2 days and 100 miles for $99, plus .89 each additional mile. They won't tell you about it, you have to ask for it, and it's only on one-way rentals.  Plus, you get 1 month free storage rental (any size). So, to answer your question, about $200 minus $100 in free storage, so my actual cost is only about $100 for a 200 mile trip. I used to rent two 26" trucks every week to move my merchandise, so this deal saved me a lot of money. 

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
So how do you get away with the one way rental, when some place is 100 miles away?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
So how do you get away with the one way rental, when some place is 100 miles away?

I hitchhike. Kidding, of course. Usually, I'll take my wife with me and I'll have her drive the car back.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
So you have to factor in gas for 200 miles on a round trip in the car...

Just curious, because seems like less of a headache to rent for  1 way, when you can do roundtrip and it probably doesn't cost that much more.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
So you have to factor in gas for 200 miles on a round trip in the car...

Just curious, because seems like less of a headache to rent for  1 way, when you can do roundtrip and it probably doesn't cost that much more.

Well, in this case, round trip, it would be an extra $200 in mileage + extra gas on a vehicle that only gets 8-10 miles per gallon; whereas, 1 way would just be the extra cost of gas for your personal vehicle. I think I spent about $60-70 in gas for my SUV (roundtrip.) 

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Re: Would you purchase a storage unit online if the facility was 100 miles away?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »
But you had to drag your wife along also, for at least 6 hours of her time... What is that worth?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Would you purchase a storage unit online if the facility was 100 miles away?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 11:48:25 AM »
But you had to drag your wife along also, for at least 6 hours of her time... What is that worth?

Savings in labor = $100. Cost for her meals = $30. Waking her up at 6:00 AM to go clean out some storage units. Priceless!  :celebrate:

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Savings in labor = $100. Cost for her meals = $30. Waking her up at 6:00 AM to go clean out some storage units. Priceless!  :celebrate:

Complaining -$200, No Action for a week - $500, Making fun of you if it's a dead unit -$250, Making you sight see and spend extra $$$ - $150

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:10 AM »
Complaining -$200, No Action for a week - $500, Making fun of you if it's a dead unit -$250, Making you sight see and spend extra $$$ - $150

I don't see how that's much different from what I get when we're at home.

xx
Would you purchase a storage unit online if the facility was 200 miles away?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 03:13:07 PM
by StorageAuctionFinds
xx
If you win a storage unit online, you better get to the storage facility fast!

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 09:31:35 AM
by truedaystar
xx
Would you use a credit card to purchase a storage unit?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2015, 09:48:23 AM
by alloro
xx
Has anyone ever teamed up with another buyer to purchase a unit?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2014, 04:49:40 PM
by rulesforrebels