Storage Auctions

A Way to Sell Cell Phones

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
A Way to Sell Cell Phones
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
I'm a Luddite when it comes to cell phones.

I have one, but it is basic and while it CAN access the internet for research, I use it mostly for outgoing calls and rarely check it for incoming as I don't encourgage that.

I can't fathom the seemingly endless usage of these things by some people (even while driving and in public spaces where I at least don't want to hear their one-sided (or sometimes two-sided SPEAKER active talks).

ANYWAY....

I have gotten a lot of them over the years of locker buying and have a box I was going to send to one of the online buyers to see if they were worth anything.

This morning, Thursday, May 23, 2013, I saw a news story on tv that prompted me to look up this website on the internet....using a computer !    It's an easy walk-up approach (using a machine that takes the phone (or not) and gives you cash on the spot...like one of the Coinstar machines.

Sure, it won't give you as much as a buyer would (if you knew what you had), but it's quick and easy and for me that's important as time is money too.

So...here's the link. Caveat, the TV story talked about the fact that these machines might even be encouraging the theft of cell phones by "smash and grab" guys who attack people on the sidewalk and steal their phones. If a phone you try to cash in at the phone turns out to be stolen the machine reportedly won't take it from you, though the NBC producers were easily able to fool the machine twice.  EcoATM

ecoatm.com/how-it-works.html

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: A Way to Sell Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
Cool.  Thanks.

I'll check it out.   I have a bunch from my "I can fix phones" idea that did not work out so well for me.....

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »
Unless they're iPhones or Androids, you probably won't get much if anything for them. I've never come across an iPhone or Android in a unit...mostly just older low end phones that nobody wants. I don't even fool with them, nine times out of ten the batteries are dead anyway.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
Unless they're iPhones or Androids, you probably won't get much if anything for them.

Of course that is true; however, if I had 30 of them and even 10 of them were good for $1 each that $10 would be worth it to get rid of them and to be able to throw the rest away.

There is more than money value in every experience.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
Of course that is true; however, if I had 30 of them and even 10 of them were good for $1 each that $10 would be worth it to get rid of them and to be able to throw the rest away.

There is more than money value in every experience.

Absolutely, making something is better than nothing. The difference between people that are successful in this business and the ones that aren't is their ability to sell the stuff that others would just toss out.

If these kiosks ever come to my area, I would probably have to save up 30-40 cell phones before it was worth my time.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »
Sell it as a "Mystery Phone" because there's no telling what text messages or photos are still on it. :)

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
I collect old "useless" phones.  Ones no one wants and give them to either police or directly to the women's shelter.

They pass them out, mainly to low income or homeless, domestic violence victims. Girls on the street. Homeless teens.

Even with no plan, cell phones will still call 911.

Even if the person is well off, has phone, cell phone.....cops give them the phones to hide so if someone takes thier phone.

I keep an old phone in my car for emergencies.  Another in the safe room in case something happens and I can't grab cell....

Several around my elderly mothers house. On the floor in bathroom, on floor by bed, floor between kitchen and living room.......see a the pattern?  Yeah, we are worried about falls.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Basic cell phones do sell, lots of prepaid accounts out there that need a replacement. Cheaper to buy a used phone at the flea market or on craigslist than go back to the store and pay full retail.

The advantage to buying a used phone for replacement on a prepaid, you get to keep your number. If someone loses a phone, or breaks their phone, they can always go back to the store and get a new "deal" on a prepaid.. But they'll lose their number and any voicemails that were saved.

However, as the seller, it's always a good idea to call the carrier and find out if the ESN (serial number) has been blacklisted for nonpayment or reported as a lost/stolen phone.

xx
Cell phones

Started by Mr Andersen

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 04:33:31 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Cell phones are fascinating

Started by greywar

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 12:59:14 PM
by rulesforrebels