Storage Auctions

Consignment & Auction Houses?

Consignment & Auction Houses?
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »
With the high fee's at auction houses and consignment stores have any of you found it worth while to sell through these avenues?  I was thinking that maybe antiques, art, or unique furniture pieces may be worth looking into, but have yet to try it and continued to use Craigslist and Ebay to sell.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Consignment & Auction Houses?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
I've thought about using a consignment store to sell some expensive art that I've had for years. Never got around to doing it. Now that I think about it, I'd probably get more money for it at an auction house.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »
I had one of those 10x10 spaces in a store and tried it for 6 months.  I lost money, and the only one who made money was the owner.   Not enough traffic and buyers.  For me it will be CL, eBay, yard sales and flea markets.  Maybe I will also try the auctions later instead of donating the spoils.  But, that means that I would have to keep that junk until it's worth it..     

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »
anything worth under $30 i run through the auctionhouse. generally $1000-$2000 per week. Mostly in box and tub lots but they really decide that for me which is fine by me

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:48:46 AM »
I use auction houses for things that I have not been able to sell on EBAY or CRAIGSLIST. Sometimes very successful, sometimes a dismal failure. No matter because by the time I get to that point I have given up on the item, or items, so anything I get for them is a bonus. Recently I dropped off a bunch of box lots to be auctioned off in a few weeks, quite a bit of it glass and china. I have no clue how it will go but already feel successful because they are out of my care and I don't have to pack and ship all those fragile items. :clap:

Offline House of Treasures

• We Buy Junk We Sell Antiques
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
I used a Anyone can Buy or Sell Auction house for the first time this week. It was a Tuesday so the crowd was small but I still made $135, they took 20% so I brought home a little over a 100. Funny thing is I got rid of a lot of stuff that has been around for a long time but didn't make a dent in the basement.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
I used a Anyone can Buy or Sell Auction house for the first time this week. It was a Tuesday so the crowd was small but I still made $135, they took 20% so I brought home a little over a 100. Funny thing is I got rid of a lot of stuff that has been around for a long time but didn't make a dent in the basement.

Hey, it's a starting point. Perhaps if you keep using the auction house for a few months you can clear out an entire corner of the basement.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
I use the little local auction house for certain items......I have done every thing from 5K plus tool sales to just boxes of yarn that weren't selling on craigslist and actually went for decent money at the auction house.  Just depends on what it is and if I just want to get rid of some stuff.  The auctions are good for getting rid of a lot of stuff fast, but not necessarily for top dollar.  But sometimes the stuff just needs to go to make room....end of garage sale season is coming up and I'm going to purge a lot of stuff at the end of September.......some of it at the auction house.

xx
Auction Houses ?

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 09:20:51 AM
by dbr831
xx
Selling at auction houses

Started by dbr831

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 02:38:39 PM
by cstore7
xx
Home Interior Consignment Stores

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 12:39:48 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?

Started by Travis

30 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 09:46:22 AM
by bwd111