Storage Auctions

Has anyone had experience with Worthpoint?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Has anyone had experience with Worthpoint?
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
I really know next to nothing about this, but once in a while when I research something the item will pop up in a Worthpoint screen and of course it says something like "join to see what this item sold for"

I just did a search on reviews of Worthpoint and what I saw wasn't encouraging.

http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.worthpoint.com

Re: Has anyone had experience with Worthpoint?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:01:53 AM »
I ended up with a subscription to Worthpoint and I can say don't waste your money. It mostly gives you the price that an item sold on ebay for in the last five years. I don't use it very often.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
I ended up with a subscription to Worthpoint and I can say don't waste your money. It mostly gives you the price that an item sold on ebay for in the last five years. I don't use it very often.

That's what some of the reviewers said in the link above. Thanks for the confirmation.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »
I don't subscribe to anything that gives me info that I can find on my own with minimal legwork.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
I use it, my sister is a member so I log in with her info so it doesnt cost me anything. I like it. Im not saying its the best or anything like that, but for a quick reference for many items in one place it suits my needs....I probably would pay for it if I had to (although Im not sure what the monthly fee is, maybe I wouldnt, lol) I would miss that app if it was gone tomorrow.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »
It might be worth it to you depending on your volume and what you are selling movieman . If your selling a lot and doing collectibles clothing and decorative items it might very well be worth the investment

If your selling common items tools machinery etc it might not

this person mentioned this item on a forum and said without worthpoint  they wouldnt have had a clue to price it this high

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-Savers-Sweet-Story-Vintage-Gift-Package-8-Sealed-Rolls-1940s-Unused-Candy-/191071268195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7cbc2d63&nma=true&si=xhwtD9BK%252FzV4nIOtsXiojA0LZF4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

im not sure what they would have gotten for it without worthpoint but im thinking the extra$ paid for 2 or 3 months of the worthpoint service(they took 92.50 for it about 10 minutes after they listed it)

evidently on uncommon items the trick is not what its sold for recently but rather whats the highest its sold for and for that you may need to dig farther back than the 3 months ebay gives you access too

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
It might be worth it to you depending on your volume and what you are selling movieman . If your selling a lot and doing collectibles clothing and decorative items it might very well be worth the investment

Thanks for that link Fred !  Your example and the greater than 3 month window on Worthpoint makes sense for those kind of items.

Should I ever get deeper in items of that type of item I think you're right that WP might in fact be "worth" it.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
Thanks for that link Fred !  Your example and the greater than 3 month window on Worthpoint makes sense for those kind of items.

Should I ever get deeper in items of that type of item I think you're right that WP might in fact be "worth" it.

your quite welcome by the way this is the type of knowledge im picking up on that thrifting with the boys page i recomended

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
I never tried it once i saw all the complaints that after free trial its hard to cancel.   They just keep billing your card.

Also, what something sold for a few years ago is worthless IMO.  I only use recent history.  Sure, there are those special items that don't sell often and any "last sold for" is better than nothing.  But Also, the economy sucked these past years. Everyone was selling their stuff and, supply & demand, prices were down.

Mainly, I just see a billion complaints and bad reviews about billing issues.  Red flag. 

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
I never tried it once i saw all the complaints that after free trial its hard to cancel.   They just keep billing your card.

Also, what something sold for a few years ago is worthless IMO.  I only use recent history.  Sure, there are those special items that don't sell often and any "last sold for" is better than nothing.  But Also, the economy sucked these past years. Everyone was selling their stuff and, supply & demand, prices were down.

Mainly, I just see a billion complaints and bad reviews about billing issues.  Red flag. 

My sentiments exactly! I only use 3 months of history to research an item. That's what it's selling for NOW. You can also research items on auctioning sites like liveauctioneer.com. If you set up a login, you can find out what items sold for during their auctions.. the only caveat to that is finding the item.

If it's not on ebay, I put it up for $10 and see where it goes. Had good success with that. If an item only sells for $10, well it's worth $10. In some cases, I'll put an item for $10 and sell for $80-$100.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »
It's hard to say, if you list something for $10 and it sells for $90, it's worth $90. It all depends on who's looking for the item in that 7 day auction window.

I listed auctions for shoes at $79.99, didn't sell, 7 days expired, re-listed them at $99 buy it now for 30 days and the next day it sells at $99, 20% more.  That's not to say, I could of listed it at $129.99 and it might of sold at that price too. It's all about the right buyer seeing the item for sale at the right time.  In the case of auctions, you need 2 of the right buyers seeing the item, in that 7 day time window.  Obscure, Items it's tricky to get those 2 right buyers, so if you know the worth of an item approximately, you can start that auction off where it should start and hope for the best.

Now items, like iphones, silver bars, etc.  You can put those on a 1 day auction and you'll get a decent price for them, just because a large number of people are looking for them.

But a Ming Dynasty pillow made during the eleventh emperor's rule in the 1500's, like this guy is selling for $130.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321323369026?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No one bought it? Now I'm assuming, the guy doesn't know Chinese, because if he knew how to read, he would of wrote a better description for it.  And B, what type of value do you place on this item? I have no clue. The only reason I seen this is because I have the same item but made during the 5th emperor's rule, dated from 1425 to 1435.

Is his 500 year old Ming Pillow worthless because it didn't sell? I don't know and is the 600 year old one I have worthless too? I don't know, I would like to think it's worth a lot more then $130.

That's something that worth point might be able to tell you.  But I have a feeling i'm going to need to seek out a person that specialize in the Ming Dynasty period to get a number from.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »
I'm going to test drive Terapeak for 7 days... They go back 365 days..

http://www.terapeak.com/company/press/releases/get-ebay-pricing-history-with-terapeak/

xx
Anyone ever use Worthpoint.com to determine values?

Started by 39shades

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2016, 01:14:40 PM
by alloro
xx
First Auction experience

Started by vinitabenzel

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 05:27:42 AM
by vinitabenzel
xx
Aukward Experience

Started by Jasold

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 12:43:08 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Anyone have any experience selling purses?

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 10:53:02 AM
by ChefJ